Facility Resources

Resources for Hazardous Materials Facility Owners and Operators

Federal and State Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Laws place requirements on facilities that maintain inventories of certain types and amounts of hazardous materials (See the applicable Federal law and the State Law.). These are facilities whose inventories include:

  • Hazardous chemicals above 10,000 pounds (that's about 1500 gallons of liquid products); or
  • Extremely Hazardous Substances (EHS) at 500 pounds or the listed Threshold Planning Quantity (TPQ) for each chemical, whichever is less.

(See the EPA's List of Lists for chemical listings and Threshold Planning Quantities)

These facilities must report those inventories each year to:

  • The local fire department,
  • Local Emergency Planning Committee and
  • The State Emergency Response Commission (SERC) annually.

Filing must be done electronically, using US EPA's Tier II Submit software, available free from the EPA. We've also developed a free webinar explaining the filing process.

In Maine, there are registration and inventory fees associated with the reports. These fees return value by supporting planning, training and exercise and right-to-know activities at the county, local and state levels.

Facilities which maintain inventories over the TPQ of an EHS must also develop an emergency plan, provide it to the local LEPC and fire department, and annually review and exercise the plan.

Please contact us with any questions about filing or planning requirements. We will walk you through the process and provide any needed information.

Filing Requirements, Forms and References

Links and References for Facilities