Recovery Resources

After any disaster that causes damage to your home, vehicle, or personal property, your first source for recovery assistance will be through your insurance provider. However, when that isn't an option, there are other places that may be able to help or direct you to help.

211 Maine
2-1-1 Maine is a comprehensive statewide directory of over 8,000 health and human services available in Maine. During emergencies they can provide information on support services and assist those wanting to make a donation to help those affected.

Better Business Bureau
Through the BBB you can look up information on companies you are or are thinking of doing business with. You can also file a complaint.

Disaster Distress Helpline
The Helpline is available 24 hours of day for anyone feeling stressed about disasters.. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor.

FLASH: Federal Alliance for Safe Homes
A huge library of disaster tips, how-to-videos and publications from a leading consumer advocate for strengthening homes and safeguarding families from natural and man made disasters.

General Assistance Program
Each town has a general assistance program to help people in emergencies, including natural disasters, that are threatened by destitution or homelessness. You may be eligible even if you work or receive other benefits or Social Security income. Contact your local town office to inquire about and apply for general assistance.

Institute for Business and Home Safety: Open for Business
OFB-EZ (Open For Business-EZ) is a free business continuity tool designed to help even the smallest businesses focus on planning for any type of business interruption, so they can quickly re-open and resume operations following a disaster. Resources include a mobile app to facilitate planning.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses
Special tax provisions that may help taxpayers and businesses recovery financially from the impact of a disaster.

Maine Attorney General: Consumer Complaints or Questions
If you have concerns or complaints about a contractor or other business after a disaster (or at any time) you can contact the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division.

Maine Attorney General: Home Construction Warning
If you are considering hiring a contractor to repair disaster damage, here are some helpful tips.

Maine Bureau of Insurance: File a Complaint
Check out how to file, how the Bureau handles complaints, and tips for dealing with your insurance company.

Maine Bureau of Insurance: Frequentlly Asked Questions
FAQs on a wide range of topics relating to all types of insurance issues.

Maine Community Action Association
There are 10 Community Action Program (CAP) agencies across Maine that can connect eligible individuals and households to emergency fuel, local food pantries, home repair, affordable rental apartments, and other programs.

Maine Disaster Behavioral Health
Maine's Disaster Behavioral Health Response Team (DBHRT) is a statewide team of trained volunteers who respond locally to disasters and public health emergencies by working within healthcare and school facilities, walking through neighborhoods, providing services to impacted family and friends at local reception centers and FEMA Services Centers.

MaineHousing (Maine State Housing Authority) has a number of grant and loan programs for home repair for qualified homeowners. The Maine Home Repair Program can assist with myriad repairs and replacements for your home structure, power plant systems, well, or septic. Their LIHEAP program can also help eligible households with fuel assistance, weatherization, and central heating improvement.

State of Maine: Regulatory Licensing and Permitting
In Maine, general building contractors do not need a license. But, electricians, fuel burner technicians, manufactured housing mechanics, plumbers and transient sellers (e.g., door-to-door home repair sellers) are licensed by the state. You can search for individuals, companies, and worksites to see whether their licenses are active or not.

US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Rural Development
RD helps rural areas to develop and grow by offering Federal assistance that improves quality of life. For grant or loan assistance to repair or rehabilitate your rural home, visit USDA's Rural Development page or contact the Rural Development office serving your county.