Homeschool Requirements, Forms & Laws

Whether you're new to homeschooling or just preparing for another year of teaching your children in the home, you should be aware of Maine's homeschooling requirements and laws, and make sure you submit the appropriate paperwork. Stay informed and Subscribe to Email Updates about homeschooling from the Department.

Requirements & Forms

How to Provide Notice of Intent to Homeschool

How to Begin Homeschooling

New March 20, 2019: The requirements for the Notice of Intent to Homeschool and Subsequent Year Letter, formerly on separate paper forms, are combined on one form beginning with the 2019-2020 school year, and completed via the Homeschool Portal, or by submitting the paper Notice of Intent to Homeschool (initial / continuation) form linked above. Additionally, homeschool requirements submitted for 2019-2020 and for subsequent years using any method described in the Parent/Guardian Instructions below will serve as notification to both the Maine Department of Education and the resident Superintendent, as required by law, and will prompt an acknowledgment to parents who supply a valid email address.

The parent/guardian who is new to homeschooling must file a Notice of Intent with the local school superintendent or the Maine Department of Education (DOE) by September 1 in order to start at the beginning of the school year. If starting homeschooling in the middle of a school year, a Notice of Intent must be filed within 10 days of withdrawal from school.

Each year thereafter, a Notice of Intent to Homeschool (with prior year assessment results attached - see below) must be filed by September 1.

Parent/Guardian Instructions

Prior to submission ensure that copies of any prior year required assessments (parents must submit for subsequent year students) are available for mailing or delivery, or scanned for upload if using the Homeschool Portal input option.

The new form may be completed, signed, and submitted in any of three ways:

  1. Enter information directly on the new NEO online homeschool portal, and upload copies of any required prior year assessment information - one submission will result in notification to both the Superintendent and the Department of Education;
  2. Download the manual form, print, complete, sign and take it with prior year required assessments to the resident Superintendent’s office for upload and entry into the system - one submission will result in notification to both the Superintendent and the Department of Education;
  3. Download the manual form, print, complete, sign and mail it with prior year required assessments to the DOE or to the Superintendent’s office, where it will be entered into the new system - one submission will result in notification to both the Superintendent and the Department of Education.

Parents who supply a valid email address will receive an email acknowledgment.


  • Maine Home School Statute. Read Maine's statute related to homeschooling: Title 20-A, Section 5001-A, Sub-section 3.
  • Home School Access Law. Public schools are permitted to partially enroll homeschooled students into classes or extra-curricular activities that are available at the school, as space and resources allow. In certain situations, homeschoolers have a right to access certain public school programs. Read Sub-section 1-A: Equivalent Instruction Programs.
  • Special Education & Homeschooling. Homeschooled students are eligible to receive special education services at their resident school unit’s public school. The public school has an obligation to provide such services only in the event that the student elects to participate in classes at the school, and only to the extent that those services are necessary, due to the student’s disability, to enable the student to participate in those classes.On the Special Education Laws & Regulations page, click "State Regulation: Chapter 101" to download the document. See Section IV.4.H.
  • Standards for participation in public schools by students enrolled in equivalent instruction programs. A student receiving home instruction may participate in public school activities as outlined in Title 20-A, Section 5021. A school administrative unit is entitled to receive state subsidy for any student who receives instruction through one or more on-site academic courses from a public school but is not a full-time student. The rate of reimbursement must be established in increments of 0.25 full-time equivalent status up to 1.0 full-time equivalent status based on the average amount of time per day that a student receives on-site academic services from a public school.