The Maine Department of Education requires approved private schools to be approved annually per 20-A M.R.S. Chapter 117.
Directories of Maine schools can be found here.
For a list of private schools approved for public funds (tuition purposes), click here.
Private schools, with the exception of required organization and staff* information entry into the NEO system, currently undergo a manual approval process, working with the School Enrollment/Approval Specialist. Please visit the following links for more information and instructions on how to complete these requirements:
*For security and privacy purposes, staff information must be entered in the NEO Staff module in order for approval to be completed.
Approval Reports and requirement checklists are linked below. If unsure of which form is appropriate for your needs, please contact Pamela Ford-Taylor, School Enrollment/Approval Specialist.
- Private School - Annual School Approval Report
- Private School - Checklist
- Special Purpose Private School - Annual School Approval Report
- Special Purpose Private School - Checklist
- Non-Traditional Limited Purpose Private School - Annual School Approval Report
- Non-Traditional Limited Purpose Private School - Checklist
- Electronic Signature Certification (please send separately via USPS)
Schools that have successfully completed the basic school approval process, and that wish to be additionally approved as a Maine Private School Approved for the Receipt of Public Funds, may contact Paula Gravelle, School Finance Manager. The Department accepts requests on or after July 1 from Private Schools to receive public funds for the following school year (required annually). The request includes expenditure information from the previous school year, ending June 30. For more information please visit the Department’s Tuition Rates webpage.
*NEO Maine Schools is completed after May 1. As a preliminary step, in order for an organization to be updated in Maine Schools, the superintendent or chief administrator of the school must first be entered into the NEO Staff Module. Access to NEO staff can be obtained by submitting a NEO access request form to the MDOE Data Helpdesk, where schools who are new to the process or in any stage of the Maine Schools NEO report completion can get technical assistance. For School Approval, please contact Pamela Ford-Taylor.
Related resources can be found at the following links:
- Certification - Teacher and Administrator Certification
- Maine Schools Information
- Data Submission & Management
- NEO Dashboard and Login
- NEO Reporting Calendar
- Maine Department of Education Helpdesk
- Maine DOE Newsroom