Putting Reading First in Maine is a series of 17 video segments developed through the Maine Department of Education’s Maine Reading First Initiative. The video series was originally used in conjunction with the Maine Reading First Statewide Course and was provided to all Maine elementary schools as a professional development resource.
- Putting Reading First in Maine DVD & Study Guide (PDF, 89KB)
- The Professional Viewing Guide (DOC, 928KB) is available to support educators’ use of the video series.
Putting Reading First in Maine Video Segments
Each segment has both a video (uploaded to YouTube) and an accompanying PowerPoint presentation.
- Segment 1 - Introduction to Reading First
- Segment 2 - Literacy Learning TheoPowerPointry
- Segment 3 - Oral Language Developmen Presentationt
- Segment 4 - Reading & Writing Development
- Segment 5 - Instructional Frameworks for Comprehensive Literacy Programs
- Segment 6 - Design of Classroom Environments that Support Literacy Instruction
- Segment 7 - Phonological & Phonemic Awareness Research & Assessment
- Segment 8 - Phonological & Phonemic Awareness Instruction
- Segment 9 - Phonics Research & Assessment
- Segment 10 - Phonics Instruction
- Segment 11 - Fluency Research & Assessment
- Segment 12 - Fluency Instruction
- Segment 13 - Vocabulary Research & Assessment
- Segment 14 - Vocabulary Instruction
- Segment 15 - Comprehension Research & Assessment
- Segment 16 - Comprehension Instruction
- Segment 17 - Broad Supports for Literacy
Video Viewing Protocols
Video viewing protocols may help educators frame collaborative discussions about the video content.