Celebrating National Poetry Month
The National Council of Teachers of English
NCTE provides resources for teaching poetry any time and suggests activities to support National Poetry Month
Poems, Poems Everywhere!
Looking for poems to inspire, read aloud, ponder, or teach? Check out these resources.
- https://allpoetry.com/ publishes fresh poems for novice and profesional poet. Find a collection of well known poems as well.
- The Maine State Library features a collection of historical poems from Maine poets at https://www.maine.gov/msl/poetry/index.shtml
- ReadWorks provides grade level poems and questions that can be assigned to students. Create a free account at ReadWorks.org
- The Poetry Foundation provides resources for teaching poetry at many different levels and includes collections organized by themes. https://www.poetryfoundation.org/collections
- The Academy of American Poets boasts a collection of over 10,000 poems and offers a poem a day. https://poets.org/poems
Maine DOE Celebrates Poets
Read poetry - to yourself, your family, your dog. Let us know where you are reading, what you are reading, and to whom you are reading fabulous poetry!
- Read in the round. Select a poem and have each person in your home read a line or a stanza. Practice changing your voice and reading with different emotions.
- Write a poem. Tell a story about soemthing you remember, how you are feeling, or something you wish.
- Create a collage of photos or images with lines from a favorite poem. How does the poem look to you?