Literacy for ME Brochures
This collection of brochures describes literacy development at different points in time along the birth to adult continuum, and provides suggestions for ways in which parents and community members can support literacy learning. The brochures include a space for community literacy teams or organizations to include their contact information.The age spans of the brochures include:
Video: Literacy for ME: An Investment In Maine. This is a one minute video that provides an overview of the Literacy for ME initiative and its importance to Maine’s well-being.
Literacy for ME Informational Videos
A three-part series of informational videos (3 min. each) that describe literacy development at different points in time and present ways in which parents and community members can support literacy education efforts.
Read to ME Challenge
- Read to ME Challenge raises awareness campaign to promote childhood literacy in Maine.
To keep Maine kids learning throughout the summer, the Maine Department of Education has teamed up with a variety of partners to offer exciting and fun resources to help students retain the literacy skills they gained this past school year, while ramping up their skills for next fall.
This collection of digital tools provides many of the resources needed to implement the plan. The toolkit is free to all who wish to use it, and will continue to grow as needs are identified and solutions developed.
- State Literacy Team Members 2014-16 (RTF, 46KB)
- State Literacy Team Members 2012-14 (DOC 19KB)
- State Literacy Team Members 2010-12
- Community Literacy Partners. (RTF, 130KB) This is a listing of organizations in Maine that can serve as partners on community literacy teams and/or provide support to community literacy teams.
- Maine DOE Literacy Web Links. Sortable listing of the literacy-related divisions and resources based in the Maine Department of Education.
- Literacy Resources Guide for Parents and Community. (PDF, 98KB) Listing of online links to literacy-related organizations at the state and national level. Through these organizations, a variety of literacy related information and resources can be obtained.
Informational & Marketing Materials
- Literacy for ME one-page informational sheet (PDF, 658KB)
- Literacy for ME two-page informational sheet (PDF, 115KB) | DOC (998KB)
- Literacy for ME Brochure for Parents and Community Members. (PDF, 2MB). Tri-fold brochure offering suggestions on how parents and community members can support literacy growth across the birth to adult span.
Sample Literacy Learning Targets
Progression of literacy learning targets for age/grade spans from birth to adult, written in less technical terms than standards documents.
- Infants and Toddlers (Birth-Age 2)
- Preschoolers (Ages 3-5)
- Students in Grades K-2
- Students in Grades 3-5
- Students in Grades 6-8
- Students in Grades 9-10
- Grade 11 Students - Adults
By the Numbers
By the Numbers is a collection of literacy-related data and data resources for age/grade spans in the State of Maine.
- By the Numbers (PDF, 508KB)