Case Management

Who can get a Case Manager?

Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disability (IDD) and/or Autism who have been determined eligible for Adult Developmental Services, regardless of whether they have MaineCare or not, can receive Case Management services.

What do they do?

Case Managers help individuals access employment, education, housing, social and other supports, and necessary medical services. They work with individuals, families, service providers, and other agencies to create a Person Centered Plan (PCP) based on a comprehensive assessment of each individual’s needs. In addition, Case Managers assist individuals and parents or guardians in navigating the service system.

Case Managers are responsible for:

  • Assessing needs and completing a comprehensive assessment
  • Developing a Person Centered Plan (PCP)
  • Offering referrals for services
  • Coordinating services
  • Monitoring to assess an individual’s safety, well-being, and stability, as well as monitoring the progress toward the goals identified in their PCP.

Case Managers are required to meet a variety of training and staff qualification requirements.

How do I get one?

If you are eligible for Adult Developmental Services but are not enrolled in MaineCare, OADS can provide you with Case Management services.  If you are enrolled in MaineCare and are eligible for Adult Developmental Services, you may contact a Case Management Agency in your area directly to get started. If you would like help, contact a Case Management Liaison in your county:

District 1 York (207) 822-2225
District 2 Cumberland (207) 822-2225
District 3 Androscoggin, Oxford and Franklin (207) 795-4664
District 4 Lincoln, Knox, Waldo, Sagadahoc (207) 596-4200
District 5 Kennebec, Somerset (207) 624-8060
District 6 Piscataquis/Penobscot (207) 561-4380
District 7 Washington, Hancock (207) 561-4380
District 8 Aroostook (207) 493-4037