Everyone should be able to work, live, love, play, and pursue their aspirations in their community. Person Centered Planning (PCP) is a process that allows people to create a vision for their own life.
What is a Person Centered Plan?
Person Centered Planning is an annual process for adults in Maine with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD) and/or Autism. PCP involves identifying and describing a person’s needs and goals, as well as the paid and unpaid supports and services the person requires to live a meaningful and self-directed life. When Person Centered Planning works, people have enhanced opportunities to make personal choices and experience independence. A good PCP includes:
- Language that is respectful and focused on the person
- Terms that are easily understood, not clinical or other profession-specific jargon
- Clear indication of the person’s talents, gifts, and preferences
- What is important to the person: i.e. work, relationships, financial stability, interests, routines, and things they would like to have or do.
How do I develop a PCP?
With the support of their Case Manager, each individual designs a PCP using their strengths, abilities, interests and dreams to realize a vision for their life.
Case Managers assist each person and the people in their life to figure out which supports and services will guide them towards their goals and the life they want. Service and support areas may include:
- Relationships, work, use of technology, access to community resources, and maintaining health and safety.
- Services and supports through the Medicaid 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waivers, (Sections 21 and 29), for individuals with Intellectual/ Developmental Disabilities (I/DD) require an additional application process and available funding. A Case Manager can assist with this process.
- Personal Plan Face Sheet (PDF)
- Personal Plan Narrative (PDF)
- MaineCare Service Description - Home Supports (PDF)
- MaineCare Service Description - Community Supports (PDF)
- MaineCare Service Description - Work/Employment Supports (PDF)
- MaineCare Service Description - Case Management (PDF)
- Service Provider Goals Description (PDF)
- EIS PCP User Manual (PDF)
- OADS PCP Agreement Sheet (Word)
- Grievance Appeal Insert (Word)
- Grievance and Reportable Event Printable Bi-Fold (Word)