Our most popular student program, the Maine Constitution Essay and Poster Contest is designed to promote the history of Maine, the Maine Constitution and the importance of democracy and voting. This contest is open to Maine students at all grade levels. We received a total of 53 entries for the 2018 contest from students all over the state of Maine.
2020 contest entries are due on March 13.
Students at the kindergarten through 5th grade level participate in a poster contest:
- Students in grades K - 3 draw posters of official Maine symbols;
- Students in grades 4 & 5 draw posters with a Maine history theme.
Students at the junior high (middle school) and high school levels participate in an essay contest:
- Students in grades 6-8 write an essay on the Maine Constitution;
- Students in grades 9-12 write an essay on the importance of voting and democracy.
A panel of judges reviews the entries and selects a winning entry in each category. Each of the selected students and his or her class will be invited to be the Secretary of State's guest for a day in Augusta. These students will be able to view the Maine Constitution, a particular honor, since it is only removed from its special vault on very few occasions. The students may also visit the Maine State Museum and the State House.
- All posters may not exceed 15" x 24" in size.
- All essays may not exceed 2 typed 8½" x 11" single-sided pages.
- Each poster or essay must be clearly marked with the student's name, grade, and the name of the school on the back of the poster.
- All essays and posters will be judged on the following criteria:
- Dedication to contest theme
- Knowledge of topic
- Return of essays and posters cannot be guaranteed.
- Entries should be submitted with the registration form (PDF). A separate registration form should be used for each grade level/category. Entries are due March 13, 2020.
Office of the Secretary of State
148 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0148
Send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not email scanned posters.