Welcome to the Department of the Secretary of State
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING STATE GOVERNMENT CLOSURE
All Bureau of Motor Vehicle phone lines are open Monday - Friday from 9:00 - 4:00 only!
Bureau of Motor Vehicles Main Office in Augusta is open by appointment only.
Please call for information about service availability at BMV branch offices: https://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/locations/index.html
State delays and closures - You may sign up for various citizen alerts through this webpage link.
In observance of Veterans' Day all Secretary of State offices will be closed Wednesday, November 11, 2020.
As you browse through our website, you will find a very diverse Department with three distinct bureaus - the Bureau of Corporations, Elections and Commissions, the Maine State Archives and the Bureau of Motor Vehicles . While each bureau has unique duties in the services and information it provides to the citizens of Maine, they all share the Department's goals of ensuring customer satisfaction and providing quality services. [Read more about the Department]
Resources for the upcoming election
7/22/2020: An Order Regarding Car Dealer License Plates
UPDATE NOTICE RE: Vehicle Registrations
October 20, 2020
What's New in the Department
Town of Marshfield
joins Rapid Renewal Service
Students choose Biden for president in 2020 Mock Election
Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap’s statement regarding ranked-choice voting ballot-marking guidance
Secretary Dunlap notifies motorists of updated vehicle registration deadlines
- November 6, 2020: Medical Advisory Board Meeting
- Over Size / Over Weight Permits
- Driver Licenses & ID Cards
- Interactive Corporate Services - Annual Reports and more ...
- UCC Online
- Common Consumer Scams
From the Maine Attorney General
- Maine Census 2020: Information
- Maine Constitutional Essay & Poster Contest
- 8th Grade Citizenship
- Elections Information
- Mock Election
- Real ID in Maine Information
- Documents page Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity (PACEI)
- Vote In Honor of a Veteran
- Regulatory Fairness Board
- Native American Essay Contest