Over the past few weeks, Maine EMS has been working with a variety of partners to draft a playbook (below) that covers the following:
- General information covering COVID-19 and SARS-CoV-2;
- Information regarding testing and types of testing;
- Preventative steps that can be implemented within public safety organizations;
- Response guidance for persons who show up to work or become symptomatic while at work;
- Steps to take when a first responder has a positive COVID-19 test;
- Specific guidance for steps to take between swabbing and test results;
- Specific guidance once you receive a positive COVID-19 result;
- Guidance regarding individuals who have a negative COVID-19 result but are still symptomatic (particularly important with impending flu season);
- Contingency options; and
- Guidance about bringing people back to work.
We are excited to share this playbook as it gives first responder organizations an opportunity to better understand the process in the unfortunate case where they interact with a symptomatic or positive staff member. Please do not hesitate to reach out to Maine EMS if you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns that we may be able to address.
COVID-19-Positive-First-Responder-Playbook (PDF) (October 8, 2020)