Your Maine Department of Education Supports LGBTQ+ Student Success!
Our Mission is to promote the best learning opportunities for all Maine students by providing information, guidance, and support to our schools, educators, and leaders and by providing adequate and equitable school funding and resources.
Maine Department of Education supports LGBTQ+ students through:
- Providing schools with access to best practice supports
- Include LGBTQ+ student voice through task-force and stakeholder work
- Engage schools in creating safe, equitable and positive school cultures
- Enhance connections between schools and LGBTQ+ community organizations
Maine Student Resources:
- Student Action Groups
- Website: http://www.myan.org
- Phone: (207) 874-0060
- Address: 85 Grant St., Portland, ME 04101
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://www.outmaine.org
- Youth Programing
- Phone: (800) 530-6997
- Address: PO Box 1723, Rockland, ME 04858
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.qrd.org/QRD/www/usa/maine/outright.pwm.html
- Phone: 207-828-6560
- Address: The Cinnamon Building, 1 Pleasant St., 4th floor, Portland, ME 04101
- Student Rights
- School Gay Straight Transgender Alliance (GSTA) & Gender and Sexuality Alliances (GSA)
Research indicates that students at schools with a GSTA/GSA were less likely to feel unsafe because of their sexual orientation or gender expression and missed less school than their peers who attended schools without one. LGBTQ+ students with a GSTA/GSA at their school also reported less anti-LGBTQ+ discrimination!
- Helping build and support GSTAs to provide students with safe spaces and improve school climate.
GLAD Gay Legal Advocates and Defenders
- LGBTQ+ Medical Information
Today, it is recognized by every authoritative medical and mental health association throughout the world that having a same-sex sexual orientation, or a gender identity different from the sex assigned at birth, is part of the normal spectrum of human experiences.1
- Committed to compassionate care for people affected by HIV/AIDS in Maine
- The Gender Clinic at The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital is dedicated to supporting the health and wellbeing of transgender, gender diverse and questioning youth across Northern New England.
- Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center is committed to caring for children, adolescents, and young adults with gender dysphoria, gender fluidity or those who are questioning.
Mabel Wadsworth Center Bangor, ME
- “Mabel Wadsworth Center is committed to providing medically accurate, client-centered, compassionate health care and education to folks with diverse expressions of gender and sexuality.
- Healthcare, Reproductive Care and LGBTQ+ Healthcare
- The Health Equity Alliance (HEAL) is a non-profit agency providing direct service and advocating on behalf of Maine’s LGBTQ+ community, people living with HIV/AIDS, and people who use drugs.
- LGBTQ+ Mental Health Resources and Support
While LGBTQ+ students may report more anxiety, depression and mental health symptoms than their peers, being LGBTQ+ itself, is NOT a mental health illness! Students and their families who are part of the LGBTQ+ community, experience negative stigmas including: historical oppression, persistent prejudice, and discrimination in their everyday lives. The disproportionate impacts to their physical and mental health are symptoms that can result from these experiences.
Finding Mental Health Supports
School based staff who can help connect you to resources:
- School social workers or clinicians
- School counselors
- School nurse
- Trusted teachers
- Find Counseling or Therapists
- Support Groups
- This peer support text line is for youth 14 - 20 years old and staffed by individuals under 23 years of age.
- Text to: (207) 515 - 8398
Suicide Prevention and Support
- 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Website: http://www.maine.gov/suicide/youth/index.htm
- Crisis Hotline: 1-888-568-1112
- Phone: 207-287-5362
- Address: Key Bank Plaza, 5th Floor, 286 Water St, Augusta, Maine 04333
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Survivors of Sexual Assault Supports
1-800-822-5999 (Knox, Waldo, Lincoln, Sagadahoc, Eastern Cumberland Counties).
1-800-871-7741 (anywhere in Maine)
- Website: http://www.mecasa.org/
- Phone: 207-626-0034
- LGBT Friendly Lawyers
- LGBTQ+ Community and Support
- Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network of Southern Maine is a grassroots initiative, working locally in our community to ensure safe schools for all students, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Equality Maine is the oldest and largest statewide organization dedicated to creating a fair and just society for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Mainers.
- Safe Schools conference
- Summer Camp
- Youth Legislative Day
- Building welcoming and affirming communities for LGBTQ+ youth.
- Youth group (ages 9-12)
- Teen group (ages 13-17)
- Emerging Leaders (16- 22)
- Trans youth support group (ages 13-17)
- Rainbow Ball Weekend
- Youth taking action groups
- Leadership retreats and youth overnights
- “The Trans Youth Equality Foundation provides education, advocacy and support for transgender and non-conforming children and youth and their families.
- Support Groups