The Maine State Board of Education is proud to offer this exciting student leadership position. In 2007, Maine became one of many states in the United States that have student representatives on their state boards. We believe that this is an important and timely step as Maine moves forward in its commitment to student engagement and empowerment statewide.
What's expected from a student member:
- To be prepared by reviewing the materials for monthly meetings.
- To attend monthly meetings.
- To participate and engage in discussions.
- To promote interest in and support for education in Maine.
- To be courteous and respectful of public suggestions and complaints and refer them to appropriate parties.
- To work harmoniously with other Board members and agencies of the State.
- To become familiar with State laws, policies, and regulations as they relate to education.
- To accept the will of the majority vote in all cases and give support to the resulting policy.
What a student member gains from Board membership:
- Incredible experience and insight into educational policy in Maine.
- Familiarity with State laws, policies, and regulations as they relate to education.
- Knowledge about education issues as they relate to Maine and the nation.
- Ability to make a difference in Maine educational policy.
- Stipend for participation.
- Mentoring relationship with State Board member.
- Opportunity to gain job connections and to learn about career choices.
- Application materials are completed annually in February.
State Board of Education