Wood Heat Maine
Heating with Firewood
IMPORTANT SEASONAL FIRE SAFETY TIPS
Install and Maintain Smoke Detectors
Smoke detectors warn you of fire in time to let you escape. Install them on each level of your home and outside of each sleeping area. Follow the manufacturer's directions, and test once a week. Replace batteries twice a year, or when the detector chirps to signal that the battery is dead. Don't ever take the battery out for other uses!
Plan and Practice Your Escape
If fire breaks out in your home, you must get out fast. With your family, plan two ways out of every room. Choose a meeting place outside where everyone should gather. Once you are out, stay out! Have the whole family practice the escape plan at least twice a year.
INFORMATIONAL POSTERS ON FIREWOOD
- Firewood Fastfacts 1
- Firewood Fastfacts 2
- Firewood Fastfacts 3
- Wood Vs. Other Fuels
- Green & Seasoned Firewood Chart
EFFICIENT WOOD HEATING TIPS
- Burn Wise (US EPA Wood Heating Homepage)
- Outdoor Wood Boilers (US EPA Outdoor Wood Boiler Information)
- Maine DEP Outdoor Wood Boiler Web Site
- List of EPA Certified Wood Stoves
- Tips for Burning Firewood in Your Home (pdf)
WOOD FUEL CALCULATOR
List of firewood dealers (pdf | 87KB)
(Please note that this list is not exhaustive, but rather an attempt to provide assistance to those trying to locate a firewood dealer in their area. If you have suggested additions or would like to be removed from this list, please visit this link .
LINKS OF INTEREST
- Recommended Standards for the Installation of Woodburning Stoves (pdf | 294 KB)
- Is your firewood safe? Maine Forest Service advisory regarding firewood
- Firewood: Where do I get it, and where do I store it?(pdf | 34KB)
- Fire Heating Safety (from the Fire Marshal's office)
- Concerned that you may not have received a full cord? Contact the Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry’s Weights and Measures Division
- Independent Power offers Outdoor Wood & Pellet Furnaces
- Masonry Wood Heaters by Maine Wood Heat
- Mazzeo's Inc
- Northern Lights Hearth & Sports offers Wood & Pellet Stoves and Furnaces
Disclaimer: The Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry does not endorse any particular business or service provider listed on this page.