Portland to Bangor Transit Propensity Study
MaineDOT, in partnership with the cities of Augusta and Bangor, is conducting a transit propensity study to assess the demand and viability for new or enhanced transit service, including passenger rail and inter-city bus service, between the communities of Portland and Bangor. The study will include a review of relevant traffic counts, most recent data from the United States Census Bureau, population and employment data, all reasonably feasible corridors of service and primary trip generators that could significantly affect demand. The final report will include estimates of the propensity of transit service demand, an estimated range of incremental growth in transit service and cost estimates of capital required for operating new or enhanced transit service.
MaineDOT will submit a report of its findings and recommendations to the Joint Standing Committee on Transportation no later than January 1, 2023.
- Draft Bangor Transit Propensity Study (PDF)
- L.D. 227 Resolve, To Conduct a Transit Propensity Study for Communities between Portland and Bangor
- Natalie Bogart, Natalie Bogart, Deputy Director, NNEPRA
- Sara Devlin, Executive Director, Bangor Area Comprehensive Transportation System (BACTS)
- Keith Luke, Economic Development Director, City of Augusta
- Joe Leonard, Bangor City Council
- Jeffrey Mann, Senior Director of State Supported Services, Amtrak
- Benjamin Blunt - Vice President, Concord Coach Lines
- Nate Moulton, Director, Office of Freight and Passenger Services, MaineDOT
- Nathan Howard, Director, Rail Program, MaineDOT