There are many laws, statutes, rules and policies that govern and guide Maine’s education system. A quality health education curriculum will align to and incorporate related laws and policies. The following laws and policies are relevant to health education.
Maine Health Education Regulations for the Implementation of Maine Learning Results
- Chapter 125: Basic Approval Standards: Public Schools and School Administrative Units (DOC)
- Chapter 127: Instructional Program, Assessment and Diploma Requirements (DOC)
- Elementary course of study
- Junior high or middle school course of study
- Secondary schools general requirements (PDF)
- System of learning results established
Health Education, Content Area Specific
Health Education has 10 content areas, each with its own affiliated laws, statutes and policies.
- Community Health
- Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Search this site for laws on specific health issues.
- Consumer Health
- Consumer Product Safety Commission. Search this link for laws, regulations and information to protect the public against unreasonable risks of injuries and deaths associated with consumer products.
- Environmental Health
- Maine Environmental Health Laws. Search this site for laws on specific environmental health issues.
- Family Life
- Maine Comprehensive Family Life Education Statute. Provides a definition of Comprehensive Family Life Education.
- Nutritional Health
- Federal Wellness Policy. Law requiring the establishment of a local wellness policy by schools.
- Personal Health Including Mental & Emotional Health
- Prevention & Control of Disease & Disorders
- Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Search this site for laws on specific diseases and disorders.
- Safety & Accident Prevention
- Child Sexual Abuse Prevention and Response. This is the Maine Department of Education Model Policy as directed by Maine law Public Law 2015, Ch. 292 (LD 1180) Supporting materials can be found at Children's Safety Partnership.
- FAQ Sheet Maine Suicide Prevention and Awareness Education Law. This Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) sheet will assist schools in clarifying the law, answering questions related to the trainings, and providing links to the law and training sites.
- Maine Bullying Prevention Laws. Search this site for laws and specific resources for bullying prevention.
- Maine Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Laws. Provides laws specific to bicycle and pedestrian safety in Maine.
- Maine Concussion Law. Offers laws and specific resources for concussion management.
- Rules to support Maine's Suicide Awareness and Prevention law for Schools. The rule establishes state standards and procedures for suicide prevention awareness education for all school personnel and suicide prevention and intervention training.
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Maine Liquor Laws. View Maine laws related to liquor.
Health Education and Health Promotion Coordinator
Coordinated School Health Team