The History of Genocide and the Holocaust learning progression has been built by a partnership between the HHRC of Maine, Maine educators, and the Maine Department of Education in an effort to assist students, and their adult leaders, in their efforts to fulfill statute LD 1664.
The learning progression leads students through two phases of experience and exploration that is appropriate in content according to average age and development expectations.
- PreK – 2 + 3 – 5th grades explore concepts of empathy and belonging
- Middle and High Schoolers explore concepts of historical context, bravery, resistance, human rights, and healthy relationships
The History of Genocide and the Holocaust modules give students a chance to explore a deeply intricate, challenging topic that has affected mankind since its inception by:
- Exploring their identity and belonging as well as that of others when in relationship
- Understanding the value and challenges of being a part of a group
- Identify when and how one can stand up for others
- Analysis of justice, prejudice, and responsibility
Click here to read a note to Educators from the Content Creators of this module regarding the current events in Ukraine (3/21/22)
Jenn Page, PhD
MOOSE Project Manager