Maine FFA Award Winners
2019-20 (June to May)
Each year, Maine FFA provides a number of awards to recognize superior accomplishments by students. Awards may take the form of plaques, ribbons and/or cash. Most awards are based on events of the annual State FFA Convention held each spring, though other awards are also described below. To learn how to apply for some of these awards and honors, visit the Forms & Resources web page.
Career Development Events
Competitions conducted at the State FFA Convention and based on individual and/or team performance in areas related to agriculture and natural resources. 2020 Virtual Event Results:
Agricultural Sales - First Place - Izabelle Higgins, Presque Isle Regional Career & Technical Center
Creed Speaking - First Place Overall - Maddie Buzza, Presque Isle Regional Career & Technical Center
First Place National Division - Nickie Deschaine, Mars Hill FFA
Second Place - Ellie Calhoun, Ashland Middle School FFA
Third Place - Micah Calhoun - Ashland FFA
Dairy Cattle Evaluation - First Place - Kassidy Blackstone, Mars Hill Middle School FFA
Second Place - Nicholas Margeson, Caribou Regional Technology Center
Floriculture - First Place - Samantha McCrum, Mars Hill FFA
Forestry - First Place - Brandon Dubie, Presque Isle Regional Career & Technical Center
Second Place - Carson Cushman, Mars Hill Middle School FFA
Prepared Public Speaking - First Place - Nickie Deschaine, Mars Hill FFA
Veterinary Science - First Place - Delaney McKeen, Mars Hill FFA
Second Place - Mallory Williams, Hodgdon FFA
Third Place - Izabelle Higgins, Presque Isle FFA / Brooke Moir, Caribou FFA
Fourth Place - Kassidy Blackstone, Mars Hill Middle School FFA
Honorary Maine FFA Degree Recipients
Award presented to members of Maine’s agriculture and natural resources community who have demonstrated a high level of commitment and service to the Maine FFA Association. 2020 Recipients:
- Ms. Whitnie Bradbury, Farm Credit East, Presque Isle
- Dr. Karen Hutchison, National FFA Organization
- Ms. Dayna McCrum, Husson University
Proficiency Award State Winners
Monetary and honorary awards are based on student accomplishments outside of the classroom in an area related to agriculture and natural resources. Students compete in area of placement (where work is done as an employee) or entrepreneurship (where student initiates and oversees own activity). Candidates must complete extensive applications documenting their goals, progress, hours and earnings (if any). Winners receive a check for $250 and proceed to the national level for further competition.
- Agricultural Communication: Graham Berry, Ashland FFA
- Agricultural Mechanics Repair and Maintenance: Dane Driscoll, Ashland FFA
- Agricultural Processing-Entrepreneurship: Izabelle Higgins, Presque Isle FFA
- Agricultural Services-Placement: Jonathan Mealey, Presque Isle FFA
- Environmental Science and Natural Resources Management: Brandon Dubie, Presque Isle FFA
- Equine Science-Placement: Rheanna Ortman, Presque Isle FFA
- Forest Management: Hailee Jo Cunningham, Ashland FFA
- Outdoor Recreation: Clark Condon, Ashland FFA
Maine FFA Chapter Advisors of the Year
Award presented to a stellar chapter FFA advisors upon nomination by home chapter and selection by state FFA officer review committee.
- Ms. Shelly Gross & Ms. Vicki McCurry, Presque Isle Regional Career & Technical Center FFA
Maine FFA Outstanding Chapter Officer
Award presented for superior service to a Maine FFA student chapter officer in recognition of his or her accomplishments following nomination by home FFA chapter advisor and selection by state FFA officer review committee.
- Izabelle Higgins, Presque Isle FFA
State FFA Degree Recipients
Recognition presented annually to those student FFA members who have demonstrated exemplary commitment to and accomplishments in the Maine FFA Association, and who have completed required application.
- Dane Driscoll, Ashland FFA
- Brandon Dubie, Presque Isle FFA
- Kerigan Guerrette, Caribou FFA
- Izabelle Higgins, Presque Isle FFA
This award is based on superior accomplishments by students with advanced outside-of-the-classroom activities related to agriculture and natural resources. Winners at the state level receive $300 and the chance to proceed to national competition.
- Agribusiness: Dane Driscoll, Ashland FFA
- Agricultural Placement: Graham Berry, Ashland FFA
Guerrette Scholarship Award
This award of $1,000 is presented to a successful student applicant pursuing post-secondary studies related to agriculture and natural resources, with the intent to enter that area professionally.
NONE AWARDED IN 2020
Washington Leadership Conference Scholarship Award
This award, covering registration costs of $940 for this high quality, one-week leadership training conducted in the summer by the National FFA Organization, is presented to a limited number of students completed thorough and well-considered applications addressing their reasons for attending this event.
- Ryder Brewer, Mars Hill FFA
- Madelyn Buzza, Presque Isle FFA
- Maggee Currie, Easton FFA
- Nickie Deschaine, Mars Hill FFA
- Anna Kilcollins, Mars Hill FFA
- Lane McCrum, Mars Hill FFA
- Delaney McKeen, Mars Hill FFA
- Rheanna Ortman, Presque Isle FFA