Grants & Loans
Assistance in the form of loans or grants may be availble through the specific programs below. More information including who to contact is available on the program pages.
Invasive Aquatic Plants
- Cost Share Grants to Prevent the Spread of Invasive Aquatic Plants. Grants are available for boat inspection/boater education programs to prevent invasive plant infestations and b) hand removal programs for lakes already infested. More Information about "invasive" grants.
Maine Natural Resource Conservation Program (MNRCP)
- MNRCP is a cooperative grant program between Maine DEP and the US Army Corps of Engineers. It is administered by The Nature Conservancy in Maine through a contract with Maine DEP. MNRCP awards funds through a competitive grants process to projects that restore, enhance, or preserve high quality natural resources throughout the State of Maine. More information about the MNRCP.
Municipal wastewater treament facilities
- State Municipal Construction Grant Program. Grants for planning, design, and construction of wastewater treatment facilities.
- Clean Water State Revolving Loan Fund (CWSRF or SRF). Low interest loans for the construction, expansion, and rehabilitation of wastewater facilities.
More information about Municipal Construction Grants and SRF loans.
- Nonpoint Source Water Pollution Control Grants ("319"). Grants to prevent or reduce nonpoint source pollutant loadings entering water resources so that beneficial uses of the water resources are maintained or restored. More information about 319 grants.
On-site wastewater disposal systems
- Small Community Grant Program (SCG). Grants to towns to help replace malfunctioning septic systems that are polluting a waterbody or causing a public nuisance. More information about SCG program.
- Overboard Discharge Elimination Progam (OBD). Grants for the removal of individual overboard discharges of wastewater. More information about OBD grants.
Pump-out Grant Program
- Grants to help fund new pump-out facilities. More information about pump-out grants.
Lake Stormwater Compensation Fund Grant
- Grants for stormwater compensation projects to reduce watershed phosphorus export in lake watersheds that have received payments under the Stormwater Compensation Fund. More information about stormwater compensation grants.
Stream Crossing Upgrade Grant Program
- Competitive grant program that matches local funding for the upgrade of municipal culverts at stream crossings to improve fish and wildlife habitats and increase community safety. More information about stream crossing/culvert upgrade grants.
Other programs of interest (not at DEP)
- This program provides funding for eligible projects that address local environmental and/or public health issues within affected communities. The EJSG Program is designed to help eligible non-profit organizations and tribal communities understand and address exposure to multiple environmental harms and risks at the local level. More information about the EJSG Program from EPA's website.
Catalog of Federal Funding Sources for Watershed Protection (Second Edition). EPA publication.
Nutrient management loans (FAME)
- Nutrient Management Loans are now available through FAME. These loans have an effective interest rate of 4% the first year and 3% each year thereafter for up to 20 years. The loans may be used for building storage and handling facilities for manure and milk room wastes, including equipment that is used solely for this purpose. More information may be obtained by contacting the Department of Agriculture Nutrient Management Coordinator at 287-1132, or Scott Bursey at FAME at 623-3263 (email: email@example.com).