GIS Maps and Other Data Files
Download Key: Google Earth: Web Browser: ArcGIS Online: Text File: Shapefile or Layer Package: PDF File: GIS Open Data download and rest end point service access:
DEP Interactive Maps and Data
- Hazardous Oil Spill System (HOSS) Sites (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Oil Spill Geographic Response Strategies - Marine (3/2/2012)
- Registered Petroleum Tanks Database (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Remediation Sites (Institutional Controls) Database (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Solid Waste - Closed Municipal Landfills (6/22/2017)
- Solid Waste Recycling Locations (Data Refreshed Quarterly)
- 1982 Maine River Study
- Aquatic Invasive Plant Locations (1/25/2017)
- Aquifer Quantitative Use Assessment (AQUA) Index (11/17/2009)
- Bacteria Monitoring Survey (Including Stream TMDL, Volunteer River Monitoring and links to the Maine Healthy Beaches data)
- Biomonitoring Stream and Wetland Sampling Data (2/2/2018)
- CMP NECEC Project Layer (This dataset might take several minutes to initially download due to its large size.)
- Draft Integrated Report Segments - 2016 (Under Development)
- Head of Tide Locations (3/15/2012)
- Maine Healthy Beaches Program (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Maine Bald Eagle Retrospective (June 20th, 2016! American Bald Eagle Day)
- Maine Lake Information (6/9/2011)
- Maine Boat Pumpout Stations and No Discharge Areas (7/14/2017)
- Medomak River Water Quality Survey
- Mining Sites (Data Refreshed Quarterly)
- Municipal Separate Stormwater Sewer Systems Regulated Areas (5/27/2014)
- NRPA Bird Habitats
- NRPA Vernal Pools
- Overboard Discharges (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Permit By Rule Locations (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Site Location of Development and Stormwater Law Permits: 2006 to present (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Urban Impaired Streams Watersheds (5/31/2018)
- Wastewater Licensed Dischargers and Critical Salmon Habitat (12/9/2011)
- Wastewater Facilities and Outfalls (MEPDES) (7/1/2018)
Note: The Maine DEP hopes to update this data twice per year moving forward. Updates should occur in January and July.
Please refer to this page for the exact date. We thank you for your patience thoughout this process.
- Waterbody Statutory Classification (This dataset might take a minute or more to initially draw due to its large size.)
- Waterbody Statutory Classification History 1965 - 2009:
- Environmental and Geographic Analysis Database (EGAD)
- Site Types (Threats to Groundwater and Environmental Monitoring) (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Sampling Data (Data Refreshed Daily)
- To request data, please fill out our Request EGAD Data Form.
- Maine Public Water Resource Information System
Downloading Data: When downloadable data is available for GIS Users there are three options:
Option 1: Use the raw data file alternate links above to download a shapefile or text file.
Option 2: Click on the project or layer links in the Google Earth table of contents (Places window). In the balloon, there will be a link to a text file with attribute data and spatial coordinates that can be imported into most GIS systems.
Option 3: Use the GIS download link to take you the state open data site and look for the download option to the right of the title.
Feedback: If you would like to comment on the use of Google Earth, ArcGIS Online, provide suggestions for improving the functionality, or report problems please go to our Feedback Form.
- The Maine DEP is only providing the data to be used in the Google Earth application on the user's computer. We are not responsible for installing or maintaining this software product.
- The Google Earth imagery dates provided do not necessarily represent the date the image was captured but show the date the imagery was processed and deployed.
- For questions regarding data content or data accuracy please contact the staff in the responsible programs. The staff contacts can be reached through the links in the Google Earth files.
- This data is for visual representation only and may not contain all data that is available by contacting the DEP directly.
- The individual DEP Google Earth Map projects contain a number of statewide data layers. These layers can be obtained from the Maine Office of GIS Data Catalog.
- If you need to make detailed decisions using geospatial data please obtain original copies of the data.
- Maine Department of Conservation Boat Launches
- Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands Conservation Lands
- Maine Department of Marine Resources Bacteria Closure Areas
- Maine Department of Transportation Urban Compact Zones
- Maine Geolibrary Orthoimagery Discovery and Download Tool
- Maine Tax Parcels
- USGS Topographic Maps
- UTM Coordinate Conversion Tool
- Wetlands (from USFWS)
(The following links are supplied here for your convenience. Please contact the listed agency directly with questions.)
MEDEP staff generate and utilize a large amount of GIS data. Non-MEDEP GIS data are typically distributed by the Maine Office of GIS.
The MEDEP GIS Unit coordinates the collection and submittal of GIS data from MEDEP program staff and environmental consultants. This data supports the geographic evaluation of sites and study areas in conjunction with environmental sampling data. A set of Spatial Data Collection Guidelines is now available to assist with submittal of data to the MEDEP Spatial Database.