Home → Permits, Licenses, Certifications
Permits, Licenses, Certifications
Maine DEP can now accept online credit card payments through a Credit Card Payment Portal. Please note: not all license types are available for electronic payment, the portal can only accept payments of $5,000 or less, and the servicer of the portal charges a $2 transaction fee. See the Payment Portal for more details.
Permits, licenses, approvals, professional and tax exemption certifications issued by DEP. Staff contact information is listed on the licensing program pages below. Forms are also available on the various licensing program and other pages.
Air Emissions (207) 287-7688
- Minor Sources
- Major Sources
- General Permits
Land (207) 287-7688
- General Permit, Maine Construction (MGCP)
- Hydropower & Dams
- Natural Resources Protection (NRPA)
- Site Location
Waste Management (207) 287-7688
Water (207) 287-7688
- Waste Discharge (includes municipal/industrial treatment systems, overboard discharges, subsurface discharges, and sand/salt).
Multi-bureau Global License Transfers (207) 287-2811
- Asbestos Professional Certification. For more information about asbestos certification, contact Sandy J. Moody (207) 287-7751
- Erosion control contractor certification
- Lead Abatement Professional Certification. For more information about lead certification, contact Sandy J. Moody (207) 287-7751
- Tax Exemption Certification
- Underground storage tank installers and inspectors
- Wastewater treatment operator certification
- Water Quality Certification
The following are general links to Maine's statutes, and the department's rules. Web pages for a particular program provide links to the specific statutes and rules for that program as well as staff contacts for more information.
Maine Statutes (off-site) are maintained by the Maine Legislature. After a legislative session ends, it takes some time for new amendments to be proofed and the online version updated, so the site may not always contain the most recent changes. Most Statutes relating to DEP can be found in Title 38.
DEP and other State Agency rules (off-site) currently in effect are maintained by the Maine Secretary of State's Office. The site may not include recent changes. For rules that have been formally proposed and are in the rulemaking process, please check DEP's Rulemaking Page, and speak to the staff contact.
- Rulemaking. The Department offers an electronic notification service for all DEP rulemaking, opportunity for comment, and other topics of interest. Click to subscribe.