Home → Water Quality → Permits, Licenses, Certifications → Waste Discharge → Overboard Discharge
Overboard Discharge Program (OBD Program)
The Maine DEP's Overboard Discharge (OBD) Program is responsible for regulating discharges of sanitary and household wastewater generated at residential or commercial locations to streams, rivers, bays, and the ocean. All OBDs must be approved by the DEP through a licensing process. For more information, see DEP Issue Profile: Overboard Discharges (OBDs).
If you are buying or selling a property that contains an OBD (transfer of ownership), the DEP strongly recommends you contact us to discuss the OBD laws and rules early in the process.
Overboard Discharge Elimination Progam (OBD). Grants for the removal of individual overboard discharges of wastewater. More information about OBD grants.
- Licensing: Irene Saumur 207-485-2404. OBD Compliance: William Johnson 207-287-7684
- Relevant statutory sections are 38 MRSA §§411-A, 413 and 414-A and can be viewed at the Legislature's web page (off-site) providing Maine Revised Statutes, Title 38.
- Chapter 596, Overboard Discharges: Licensing and Abandonment. Chapter 596 is available through the Secretary of State's webpage for DEP rules. (off-site)
- For any current or very recent rulemakings related to this program, see the Rulemaking Page.
- Guidance and instructions for completing an OBD application (pdf format). This guidance document will assist OBD owners when completing an application for an OBD license.
- General Application, Overboard Discharge < 2,000 GPD (fill-in pdf format). This is the General Application form for renewal, transfer or modification of an OBD license.
- Supplemental Application for Commercial Discharge (OBD) (fill-in pdf format). This is a supplemental form that must be completed and submitted with the General Application for OBD License for all commercial OBDs.
- Abandonment Form (pdf format). NOTE: this form is contained within a Fact Sheet. This form must be completed and submitted to the DEP when abandoning an OBD.
- OBD Annual Fee Information Sheet (pdf format). This document will assist OBD owners in understanding how their annual OBD bill was assessed.
- OBD Service Contractor List. This is a list of service contractors for mechanical OBDs.
- Licensed Site Evaluator List (off-site) The Maine Subsurface Wastewater Unit maintins a list of practicing site evaluators and other lists that may be helpful.