DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Maine Forest Service → Rules and Regulations → Forest Online Resource Tool (FOResT)
Forest Online Resource Tool (FOResT)
- Topics on this page:
For over 30 years, the Forest Operations Notification (FONS) system has been paper-based. Landowners and managers submit paper copies to the Maine Forest Service (MFS); data is entered by hand; acknowledgment letters printed and mailed; FONS filed, etc. Repeat the process with amendments. Then paper copies of landowner harvest reports are sent out at the end of the year. More paper, more data entry, more filing. That has changed.
FONS can now be filed online using the Forest Online Resource Tool (FOResT). Landowners, Designated Agents, Foresters, and Loggers will need to create individual accounts in FOResT to participate in harvest notifications.
- Topics on this page:
Forest Online Resource Tool (FOResT) is an online tool for landowners and designated agent to submit Forest Operations Notifications (FON) and associated annual Landowner Reports.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, FONS can be submitted online through FOResT.
- Winter/Spring/Summer, 2021, We will continue to accept the current paper FON forms until we have completed development of an alternative method for people without computers to submit a FON.
- Beginning October 1, 2021, FONs submitted on paper FONs with the preprinted FON #s will be rejected and people will be directed to use FOResT. In extenuating circumstances, an alternative method may be made available by contacting the Maine Forest Service office in Augusta at 207-287-2791, or by contacting your District Forester.
- Note: All landowner reports associated with paper FONS will continue to be submitted on paper forms provided by MFS.
Things You Need to Have Before You Use FOResT
An email account
The FOResT account you will be setting up and using will be based upon your email address.
If you do not have one, there are free email services available online. Such as:
During the process of creating a FON, all parties (landowner, harvester/operator, designated agent - if listed, and licensed forester - if listed) on a FON will be added to that FON by entering their last name and their FOResT ID.
To get a FOResT ID, an account must be created in FOResT by all parties BEFORE creating a FON.
If you are the one creating the FON, you will need the name(s) and FOResT ID(s) of the other parties that will be on this FON. These are required in the Contacts section of completing a FON.
NOTE: Multiple landowners can only have one user account on a FON.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs as of November 3, 2021 (PDF | 279 KB)
- How to Create a User Account
- How to sign in
- Dashboard Tour
- Where to find your FOResT ID
- How to edit your Profile
- Filing a Forest Operations Notification (FON)
- Activity Details
- Completing Summary section
- Example of Other FON party emailing, acknowledgement, and certification of FON participation
- Getting FON # & Print Posting
- How to Print a FON Summary
- How to delete a draft FON
- How to add an amendment to an Active FON
- Completing a Landowner Report
- How to Start a Landowner Report
- General Details
- Stumpage Information
- Summary and Certify
Public Overview and Demonstration Sessions
- December 2, 2020
- December 16, 2020
- January 6, 2021
- January 20, 2021
- February 3, 2021
- February 17, 2021
- March 3, 2021
- March 17, 2021
- March 31, 2021
- January 12, 2022
Frustrated or Still have questions?
You can always contact the Maine Forest Service by:
- Telephone: (207) 287-2791
- Email: email@example.com
- Submitting Questions and Comments Online
Updates to FOResT
- Create Account and Summary pages are mobile friendly
- Increased the font size of the asterisk (*) next to required information
- Reduced password reset for a newly created account from 7 days to one day
- Ability to delete a draft FON
- Users can remove draft notifications from their Pending FONS on their Dashboard.
- Additional message about creating accounts
- A message displays that says:
"All parties on this notification need to have FOResT User accounts before you can finish this notification.
You will need their FOResT User ID number and the last name or company name they entered for their account so you can add them to this notification.
Only the landowner or their designated agent can create a notification."
- Update harvesting near water question
- The "new" question reads:
"Will any harvesting be within a 250-foot wide regulated area adjacent to a great pond, river or regulated wetland, and/or within a 75-foot wide regulated area adjacent to a stream (including unmapped streams)"
- Changes to Altered area question in Road Construction Activity section
- Question now reads:
"If the proposed land management road passes through a P-WL1 or P-WL2 wetland subdistrict, how much of these subdistricts will be altered (in sq. ft.)? (43,560 sq. ft. = 1 acre)"
- Changed text on buttons to Find the...Landowner, Designated Agent, Harvester/Operator, or Forester on Contacts page
- The buttons now say:
- Confirm Landowner
- Confirm Designated Agent
- Confirm Harvester/Operator
- Confirm Licensed Forester
- Update wording of wetland road construction statement.
- The statement now reads:
"Harvesting WILL/WILL NOT be within a 250-foot wide regulated area adjacent to a great pond, river or regulated wetland, and/or within a 75-foot wide regulated area adjacent to a stream (including unmapped streams)"
- Reworded text associated with check box for Maine Forest Service Contacts
- The check box reads:
"I acknowledge this information."
- Checked box text changed to:
Acknowledgement and Certify:
- Add warning before clicking "Acknowledge and Certify" button
- A warning displays above “Cancel” and “Acknowledge and Certify” buttons that now says:
“Warning: once you have selected “Acknowledge and Certify this information” you might not be able to make further changes."
Account Set up:
On Create Account Page
- Spaces at the beginning or end of a name will not be saved
- Updated password requirement line reads:
- Password requires 1 of the following special character (!@*_).
"Reset Password" button removed from email confirmation pop up message after clicking "Create Account" button
Confirm User Account email message has changed
- The "Activate Account" link in Confirm User Account email is before the FOResT User ID.
- The text size for the "Activate Account" link is also a little larger than the rest of the text in the email.
Significant Update: Designated Agent-Licensed Forester signing for landowner
- A Licensed Forester who identifies themselves as Designated Agent can certify a FON without a Landowner’s signature only in certain situations.
Important Harvest Reminder for clearcuts >20 acres
- If the FON indicates they are creating a clearcut >20 acres (question in Activity Details>Harvest Activities section), the following message should display in the Harvest Reminders section on the Summary Page:
- “You have indicated you will be creating a clearcut >20 acres. In accordance with Chapter 20 Rule, Forest Regeneration and Clearcutting Standards, unless an exemption applies, a site specific harvest plan must be prepared and kept on file by the landowner and be made available to the MFS upon request.”
Update Harvest Reminder for clearcuts >75 acres
- Harvest Reminder message updated for a FON that indicates they will be creating a clearcuts greater than 75 acres (question in Activity Details>Harvest Activities section) to:
- “You have indicated you will be creating a clearcut >75 acres. In accordance with Chapter 26 Rule, Forest Operations Notification Standards and Chapter 20 Rule, Forest Regeneration and Clearcutting Standards, unless an exemption applies, the FON for a Category 3 clearcut (greater than 75 acres) must be submitted to Maine Forest Service along with a harvest plan, 60 days prior to the harvest. FONs for all Category 3 clearcuts require prior MFS approval.”
Road Construction Activities
Display Road Construction Questions for activities only within LUPC towns
- The Road Construction Activity questions are only required for activities that fall within a LUPC town.
Account Set up:
- The updated message now reads:
- Make sure your email is not blocking message from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Also check your "spam", junk", or other folders.
Added instructions to sign up process to check other email inbox folders once you click “Create Account”
You're almost there! An email has been sent to you from email@example.com with a link that you must use to activate your account.
Please check your email and follow the instructions so you can begin using FOResT.
You should receive this email confirmation in just a few minutes. If you do not see it in your inbox:
Put the label "Map Layers" above map layers button
- The asterisks were removed from the two optional FONS contacts (Designated Agent and Licensed Foresters)
Removed asterisks from optional Confirm contact fields
- There is now a second button on the Summary page that said "Print Summary " to allow users to print the Summary Page.
- View How to Video
- Additional statement reads:
This map is ADVISORY, for planning purposes only. Actual ground conditions, water body locations, and current regulations determine where and how MFS timber harvesting rules apply. Contact a MFS Forester for additional information/assistance.
- The upload feature is at the bottom of the Summary page
- Upon successful upload the FON status will change to "Active - Amended"
- View How to Video
Significant Update: Print FONS Summary Page
Added statement above certification check box for map on Summary Page
On the summary page at the bottom, updated the statement “to reopen a section, uncheck the Certified box.”
Significant Update: Ability to upload files/amendments to"Active" FONS
- Removed the requirement that landowner reports can only be entered beginning December 1st.
- Landowner or Designated Agent on a FON can enter their landowner reports any time during the calendar year.
Significant Update: Landowner Reports can be entered at anytime
- Boundary lines not displaying on map
- Notice that mapped activity not within town when it is
Corrected town boundary lines issues:
Significant Update: Mobile Responsive
All activities in FOResT can be completed on a mobile device.
- This includes:
- Setting up an account
- Creating a FON
- Certify participation on a FON
- Completing a landowner report
On a mobile device, links to “View” or “Delete” are displayed on the left side of each item
Magalloway Plt is now Magalloway Twp
Adding activities to map has changed
- Individual buttons for mapping each activity (Harvest, Road Construction, Water Crossing) replaced with one “+ Add Activity” button (image below)
- and then prompted to select activity to add (image below)
- Questions about road construction and water crossing display before mapping those activities.
Certification Method answer now displays in Summary section if designated agent is a licensed forester.
Acknowledgement and Certify:
- Statement for a designated agent to certify has been updated to remove the “and licensed forester” if the designated agent is not a licensed forester on the FON.
Updated Certification Statement:
Updated imputed price definition
Added mixed wood to biomass species drop down list
Added "(if applicable)" to the end of the Company name label
Entering contact last name is no longer case sensitive
Can now find Landowner or Harvester by company name
- Updated certification text for each section be specific for that section:
- "I certify that the Contacts information is correct."
- "I certify that the Overview information is correct."
- "I certify that the Map information is correct."
- "I certify that the Activity Details information is correct."
- "I acknowledge the Maine Forest Service Contacts information."
- "I acknowledge the Important Reminders information."
- If a notifier indicates a land use change to Agriculture (third question in Harvest Activities on the Activity Details section), two links display under the Harvest Reminders of the Important Reminders section on the Summary page
- The links are:
Highlight certification/acknowledgment statement and check boxes
Updated Gypsy Moth quarantine link in Summary General Reminders section to Spongy Moth
Added Important reminder for Land Use Change to Agriculture
Acknowledgement and Certify:
Significant Update: Send email when FON becomes active
- An email is sent to all parties on a FON letting them know it has become active.
- This email also contains the FON number.
Email all FON parties when FON becomes active
- Messages for future landowner reports in the table only change when the previous year's landowner report is completed
- Before this update, if a landowner report had been started but not completed AND it indicated the harvest was complete, the messages for the future landowner reports would read that the previous year’s report indicates the harvest is complete.
- With this update that has been corrected so the messages the future landowner reports only updated when the previous year's landowner report is completed.
Corrected messages in Landowner Report table on Summary Page before Landowner Report is completed.
- Added a last sentence in the text above the Overview form that reads:
“The landowner Or the designated agent should create a notification, not both.”
Update Overview opening statement
- When a landowner has an ownership size of either 1- 10 acres, 11-100 acres, or 101 - 1,000 acres, the following message now displays to the right of their contact info:
The contact information for this landowner is designated by law as confidential. [12 M.R.S. §8883-B (8)] If this Forest Operations Notifications is shared with others, the landowner contact information (address, email, phone number) must be redacted to comply with state law.
The message previously read:
This Operation will be adding wood to a stream consistent with Maine Forest Service Chapter 25 rule. Before beginning harvest operations, you must submit a written Harvest Plan to the Maine Forest Service for approval. Please contact us activity firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-287-2791.
- The message now read:
This Operation will be adding wood to a stream consistent with Maine Forest Service Chapter 25 rule. Before beginning harvest operations, you must submit a written Harvest Plan to the Maine Forest Service for approval. Please contact us about your activity at email@example.com or 207-287-2791.
- Below is the updated message if you have a change of use to Agriculture:
You have indicated you will be changing your land use to agriculture.
Please be sure your activities are conducted in accordance with the following guidance:
Soil and water conservation guidelines regarding the creation of new agricultural field or the expansion of existing agricultural field in forested areas
Regulatory issues regarding farm ponds; creating, expanding, or renovating agricultural pasture or crop land fields
Landowner contact info - add note about confidentiality
Update Chapter 25 Harvest Reminder
Updated link text to Agriculture change of use
- Updated wording of "Reset Password" link on log in screen
- Changed wording to "Reset your password?" to help people understand they did not need to reset their password every time they see the login screen.
- Updated "Enter Name" help text in Last Name text boxes to:
- "Enter Last Name or Company Name" for the Landowner and Harvester/Operator text boxes
- "Enter Last Name" for Designated Agent and Licensed Forester text boxes
- Added the ability to report sawlog stumpage data in thousand pounds (mlb).