Forest Online Resource Tool (FOResT)
For over 30 years, the Forest Operations Notification (FONS) system has been paper-based. Landowners and managers submit paper copies to the Maine Forest Service (MFS); data is entered by hand; acknowledgment letters printed and mailed; FONS filed, etc. Repeat the process with amendments. Then paper copies of landowner harvest reports are sent out at the end of the year. More paper, more data entry, more filing. That has changed.
FONS can now be filed online using the Forest Online Resource Tool (FOResT). Landowners, Designated Agents, Foresters, and Loggers will need to create individual accounts in FOResT to participate in harvest notifications.
- Topics on this page:
Forest Online Resource Tool (FOResT) is an online tool for landowners and designated agent to submit Forest Operations Notifications (FON) and associated annual Landowner Reports.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, FONS can be submitted online through FOResT.
- Winter/Spring, 2021, We will continue to accept the current paper FON forms until we have completed development of an alternative method for people without computers to submit a FON.
- Note: All landowner reports associated with paper FONS will continue to be submitted on paper forms provided by MFS.
An email account
The FOResT account you will be setting up and using will be based upon your email address.
If you do not have one, there are free email services available online. Such as:
During the process of creating a FON, all parties (landowner, harvester/operator, designated agent - if listed, and licensed forester - if listed) on a FON will be added to that FON by entering their last name and their FOResT ID.
To get a FOResT ID, an account must be created in FOResT by all parties BEFORE creating a FON.
- How to set up an account
- How to sign in
- Dashboard Tour
- Where to find your FOResT ID
- Filing a Forest Operations Notification (FON)
- December 2, 2020
- December 16, 2020
- January 6, 2021
- January 20, 2021
- February 3, 2021
- February 17, 2021
- March 3, 2021
- March 17, 2021
- March 31, 2021
You can always contact the Maine Forest Service by:
- Create Account and Summary pages are mobile friendly
- Increased the font size of the asterisk (*) next to required information
- Reduced password reset for a newly created account from 7 days to one day
- Ability to delete a draft FON
- Users can remove draft notifications from their Pending FONS on their Dashboard.
- Additional message about creating accounts
- A message displays that says:
"All parties on this notification need to have FOResT User accounts before you can finish this notification.
You will need their FOResT User ID number and the last name or company name they entered for their account so you can add them to this notification.
Only the landowner or their designated agent can create a notification."
- Update harvesting near water question
- The "new" question reads:
"Will any harvesting be within a 250-foot wide regulated area adjacent to a great pond, river or regulated wetland, and/or within a 75-foot wide regulated area adjacent to a stream (including unmapped streams)"
- Changes to Altered area question in Road Construction Activity section
- Question now reads:
"If the proposed land management road passes through a P-WL1 or P-WL2 wetland subdistrict, how much of these subdistricts will be altered (in sq. ft.)? (43,560 sq. ft. = 1 acre)"
- Changed text on buttons to Find the...Landowner, Designated Agent, Harvester/Operator, or Forester on Contacts page
- The buttons now say:
- Confirm Landowner
- Confirm Designated Agent
- Confirm Harvester/Operator
- Confirm Licensed Forester
- Update wording of wetland road construction statement.
- The statement now reads:
"Harvesting WILL/WILL NOT be within a 250-foot wide regulated area adjacent to a great pond, river or regulated wetland, and/or within a 75-foot wide regulated area adjacent to a stream (including unmapped streams)"
- Reworded text associated with check box for Maine Forest Service Contacts
- The check box reads:
"I acknowledge this information."
- Checked box text changed to:
Acknowledgement and Certify:
- Add warning before clicking "Acknowledge and Certify" button
- A warning displays above “Cancel” and “Acknowledge and Certify” buttons that now says:
“Warning: once you have selected “Acknowledge and Certify this information” you might not be able to make further changes."