COVID-19 Prevention Checklists
Please download the general checklist (for all industries), and your industry-specific checklist, to identify best practices for safely operating your business during COVID-19. Please note these checklists may be updated as new information about COVID-19 or safe business practices emerge. New industry checklists will be distributed ahead of each staged opening to allow businesses to prepare.
The general checklist contains important guidance for all businesses to follow to operate safely and prevent the spread of COVID-19. This includes restroom and public area cleanliness, disinfecting surfaces and equipment, and ensuring physical distancing. If your business or organization does not have a specific checklist, please use the general checklist as your guidance to open when permitted to do so.
Stage 1 Openings (May 1, All Counties)
- Construction (PDF) (updated 5/27/20)
- Graduation guidance from DOE (released 5/6/20)
- Drive-in theaters (PDF)(updated 5/27/20)
- Health care guidance from DHHS (PDF) (updated 5/12/20)
- Golf Courses and Disc Golf Courses (PDF) (updated 5/27/20)
- Guidance from IF&W for Hunting, Fishing, Boating and Outdoor Activities (PDF)
- Marinas (PDF)(updated 5/27/20)
Guidelines for Real Estate as an Essential Business (PDF) (released 5/27/20)
- Religious Gatherings (PDF) (released 5/22/20)
Rural Reopening Plan
For Aroostook, Piscataquis, Washington, Hancock, Somerset, Franklin, Oxford, Kennebec, Waldo, Knox, Lincoln, and Sagadahoc counties
Certain businesses in these 12 Maine counties, which have not experienced community transmission of COVID-19, are now permitted to open on the following schedule.
- Retail businesses (PDF) (released 5/8/20)
Stage 2 Openings (June 1, All Counties)
- Large gatherings (PDF) (released 5/20/20)
- Public and Community Buildings (PDF) (released 5/20/20)
- Museums (released 5/27/20)
- Restaurants (updated 5/27/20)
- Lodging (PDF) (Open to Maine residents and out-of-state residents who have completed quarantine guidelines.) (released 5/20/20)
- Campgrounds/RV parks (PDF) (Open to Maine residents only on May 22. Open to out-of-state residents who have completed quarantine guidelines on June 1.) (updated 5/20/20)
- Day Camps and Summer Recreation (released 5/20/20)
- State Park Campgrounds
- Coastal State Parks, with some services
- Community Sports (PDF) (released 5/20/20)
- Fitness and Exercise Gyms (Opening date to be determined in June)
- Nail Technicians (PDF) (released 5/14/20) (Opening date to be determined in June)
- Tanning salons (release 5/20/20)
- All retail businesses
Education and Training
Stage 3 Openings (July 1, All Counties)
- Bars (Checklist coming in June)
- Lodging, such as hotels, campgrounds, summer camps, or RV parks for Maine residents and visitors. The Administration is developing guidelines (e.g. potential testing requirements) to assist them in safely reopening.
- Overnight charter boats, excursions – fewer than 50 people (Checklist coming in June)
- Overnight Summer Camps (PDF) (released 5/20/20)
- Spas (Checklist coming in June)
- Tattoo and Piercing Parlors (Checklist coming in June)
- Massage Facilities (Checklist coming in June)
- Cosmetologists and Estheticians (Checklist coming in June)
- Electrolysis Services (Checklist coming in June)
- Laser Hair Removal Services, and Similar Personal Care and Treatment Facilities and Services (Checklist coming in June)
COVID-19 Prevention Form
In order to open, businesses must commit to complying with requirements of these checklists by filling out this short online form. Please note that religious organizations and licensed health care providers are not required to use this form.
DECD has created badges–for businesses that have used the checklist and filled out the compliance form–to voluntarily post on their doors, website or social media channels to help instill consumer confidence in their operations.