DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Maine Forest Service → About Us → Forest Policy and Management → WoodsWISE: Woods Wise Incentives to Stewardship Enhancement → State Forest Stewardship Coordinating Committee (SFSCC)
WoodsWISE: State Forest Stewardship Coordinating Committee (SFSCC)
The State Forest Stewardship Coordinating Committee (SFSCC) meets from time to time to provide comment and feedback on the Maine Forest Stewardship Program, aka the “Be Woods Wise” program. Meetings of the SFSCC, also known as the Stewardship Advisory Committee, are required under the authorities of the federal Forest Stewardship Program, which calls for “coordinating with partners to improve program delivery, including regularly convening a State Forest Stewardship Coordinating Committee.” This web page provides an opportunity to see the results of past meetings, and to offer further comments and suggestions.
The National Forest Stewardship Program Standards and Guidelines provide the underlying framework for the state program, including the elements required for inclusion in a Stewardship Forest Management Plan, among other things.
Please consider taking the time to fill out the Stewardship Advisory Committee Survey. This survey allows you to voice your thoughts and choices about various aspects of the Be Woods Wise™ Program. Your input is very much appreciated.
A wide range of individuals and entities are partners in this effort, including:
- Family woodland owners
- Private-entity Stewardship Foresters
- Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry
- Maine Natural Areas Program
- Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
- USDA Forest Service
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- USDA Farm Service Agency
- Maine Association of Conservation Districts
- University of Maine Cooperative Extension
- School of Forest Resources
- Association of Consulting Foresters
Representatives from these groups are invited to offer comment and feedback on the Maine Forest Service’s education and outreach portion of the state’s Forest Action Plan, including the WoodsWISE cost-share incentive program.
Here are some of the presentations and results summaries from past Committee meetings:
SFSCC Meeting - July 21, 2020
- Welcome and Role of SFSCC, Andy Shultz, Landowner Outreach Forester, Maine Forest Service (PDF | 792 KB)
- Maine’s Forest Action Plan, Donald J. Mansius, Director, MFS Forest Policy & Management Division (PDF | 307 KB)
- Modernizing the Forest Stewardship Program, Peter Beringer Landowner Assistance Program Coordinator, USDA Forest Service, Eastern Region, State & Private Forestry (PDF | 1.45 MB)
- WoodsWISE & Project Canopy Invasive Plant Assistance Program, Nancy Olmstead, Invasive Plants Biologist, Maine Natural Areas Program (PDF | 650 KB)
Recording of meeting
The Maine Forest Service Landowner Outreach Forester acts as the Stewardship program coordinator for the state. You can reach this individual at email@example.com, or 207 287-8430.