36 M.R.S. §§ 4641-4641-N
The transfer tax is collected on the following two transactions. The rate of tax is $2.20 for each $500 or fractional part of $500 of the value of the property being transferred. The tax is imposed ½ on the grantor, ½ on the grantee.
Controlling Interest - A separate Return/Declaration must be filed for each transfer of a controlling interest in the county where real property is located.
Real Estate - The real estate transfer tax is imposed on each deed by which any real property in this state is transferred. The register of deeds will compute the tax based on the value of the property as set forth in the declaration of value.
Certain transfers are exempt from the transfer tax. Please contact our office at 207-624-5606 if you have any questions.
- File your transfer tax return online
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Database FAQs (for municipalities)
- Controlling Interest Transfer Tax Form
- County Registry Contact Information
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Form
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Chart
- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Exemption from Real Estate Transfer Tax, 4/8/14
- Free Online Real Estate Transfer Tax Filing Service, 8/8/11