What is assessed?
- Maine's accountability standards: the Common Core State Standards in Reading and Math
Who participates in the Maine Through Year Assessment?
- Students in grades 3-8 and 2nd year of high school
What is the format of the assessment?
- Online (Paper-based forms are available as an accommodation per an IEP or 504 plan.)
When is the assessment given?
- Fall (Required): October 2, 2023 - October 27, 2023
- Winter (Optional): January 2, 2024 - February 16, 2024
- Spring (Required): April 22, 2024 - May 31, 2024
- Assessments are untimed and can be split into multiple sessions as needed.
Transition to the Maine Through Year Assessment Q&A - Updated August 31, 2023
Quick Reference Videos:
- Resources for Maine Through Year Assessment
Informational Video for New Schools and New District Assessment Coordinators (2022-23)
2023-24 Manuals and Guides
ALL manuals and guides can be found on our Maine Through Year NWEA Connection page: https://connection.nwea.org/s/maine-connection
Professional Learning and Trainings
Maine Through Year Assessment Coordinator Training (September 7 & 12, 2023)
- Assessment Coordinator Training Recording
- Assessment Coordinator Training Slides
- Assessment Coordinator Training Combined Q&A
2023-24 Accessibility and the Maine Through Year Assessment
- Accessibility Recording (September 14, 2023)
- 2023-24 Human Reader Protocol
- 2023-24 Accommodated Paper-Based Assessment Request Form
- Note: For the Through Year Assessment, selecting braille form as an accommodation for a student during the registration process will automatically generate a braille order to be shipped to your school.
- Guidance for Human Reader for Reading Passages (Grades 6+)
RIT Score Comparability
- August 31, 2023
- September 18, 2023
- Presentation Slides
- Recording - Coming soon!
NWEA's Professional Learning Online
- Direct Link to Through Year Assessment Content (You will need to sign in first.)
- For District Assessment Coordinators: PLO Add Member Instruction
- For Educators: Fall 2023 PLO Flyer
Maine Through Year Assessment 101 (2022-23)
2023-24 For Students
For Teachers and Curriculum Coordinators
Maine’s Journey to the New Through Year Assessment: With its first administration in Spring 2023, the Maine Through Year Assessment provides educators with actionable information to support student learning. Read more to learn about the transition to the Maine Through Year Assessment and its impact on educators.
Assessment Blueprints: All items on the Maine Through Year Assessment are aligned to the Common Core State Standards. The assessment blueprints specify targets for the distribution and number of operational score points aligned to each content category.
- Summative Assessment Blueprints: An Overview
- Reading Summative Assessment Blueprints
- Math Summative Assessment Blueprints
- Fall/Winter: Diagnostic Assessment Blueprints
General Achievement Level Descriptors: Achievement level descriptors define the characteristics of student performance on the state assessment at each of the four achievement levels: Well Below, Below, At, and Above State Expectations.
Achievement Level Explorer Tool: The Achievement Level Explorer Tool breaks down each of the General Achievement Levels by the grade-level standards assessed on the Maine Through Year Assessment in Reading and Math.
- Mathematics Instructional Area - CCSS Alignments: For each administration of the Through Year Assessment, instructional area subscores are produced for students. This document provides information regarding the alignment of instructional areas to CCSS strands for mathematics. (Please note that for Reading, the Instructional Areas align with the categories presented in the Achievement Level Explorer Tool.)
Math Reference Sheet: This reference/formula sheet is provided to all students on the math assessment in the fall, winter (optional), and spring. This is accessible within the assessment platform, and paper copies may be distributed to students.
Understanding Maine's Achievement Levels in Reading and Math from Spring 2021 to Spring 2023:
- Full version (3 pages): Contains details regarding norm-referenced means and standard deviations as well as cut score tables
- One-pager: An abbreviated version for those seeking a brief overview of changes from Spring 2021 to Spring 2023
For Technology Coordinators
- NWEA System and Technology Guide (Updated September 2023)
- Online Readiness Tools / Secure Browser Download
- NWEA Status Page: Visit this page for updates regarding the availability and performance of MAP Growth & NWEA State Assessments.
For District and School Assessment Coordinators
For Parents (2023-24)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (English)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Arabic)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Chinese)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (French)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Kinyarwanda)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Lingala)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Passamaquoddy)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Portuguese)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Somali)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Spanish)
- Notice for Parents: Maine's New Through Year Assessment (Vietnamese)
- Item Type Samplers
- The following item type samplers represent grade-level content in math and grade-span content in reading similar to content in the summative portion of the Maine Through Year Assessment. Item type samplers provide students the opportunity to become familiar with the platform and interact with the various tools provided.
Online Item Type Sampler (in web browser) - If you are having difficulties accessing the online Item Type Sampler, please try clearing your cache.
The online item type sampler answer keys can be found on the NWEA Maine Connection page.
Paper Item Type Samplers
- Grade 3: For Students and For Teachers
- Grade 4: For Students and For Teachers
- Grade 5: For Students and For Teachers
- Grade 6: For Students and For Teachers
- Grade 7: For Students and For Teachers
- Grade 8: For Students and For Teachers
- High School: For Students and For Teachers
Individual Student Report (ISR) Template Translations
- Arabic: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- Chinese: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- English: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- French: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- Khmer: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- Kinyarwanda: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- Lingala: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- Portuguese: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- Somali: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- Spanish: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
- Vietnamese: Grades 3-5 and Grades 6+
2023-24 Resources for MAP Growth Assessment Reports