Certification in Erosion Control Practices
For most earthwork contractors and inspectors, Maine DEP Certification in Erosion Control Practices is a voluntary certification in which individuals can demonstrate their commitment to protecting our natural resources through the use of proper erosion and sedimentation control practices. However, Maine law does require that any “contractor” working in the municipal Shoreland Zone must ensure an individual certified in Erosion and Sedimentation Control Practices (ESC) by Maine DEP is present on the site during all phases of soil disturbance, and is responsible for the installation and maintenance of any Best Management Practices (BMPs).
§439-B. Contractors certified in erosion control (Text of Shoreland Zone Certification requirement)
Individuals Certified in Erosion Control Practices
Companies Certified in Erosion Control Practices
A Company Certified in Erosion Control Practices by the Department is one that has taken the extra step to ensure, at a minimum, all its construction site supervisors individually-trained and Certified in Erosion Control Practices by Maine DEP. Companies Certified in Erosion Control Practices must resubmit a current organizational chart with the names of all site supervisors to the Department every three years.
The basic premise in certifying a company in this manner is to ensure that all of the company's construction sites are supervised by an individual that is certified in erosion and sediment control practices.
Companies seeking certification should contact John Maclaine for more information.
Benefits of Certification
Certification in Erosion Control Practices by Maine DEP affords additional benefits, including:
- Ability to conduct soil disturbance work or qualify as the responsible person on-site for installation and maintenance of erosion and sedimentation controls under Maine Shoreland Zoning Law.
- Listing as a DEP-Certified Contractor
- The ability to forgo the Department’s 14-day waiting period for Stream Crossings (Section 10 only) using Permit By Rule
- Qualify to submit erosion and sedimentation control plans under Stormwater Permit By Rule.
- Publications and resources from the NPSTC