If You Handle or Move Hemlock Products in Maine,
This Information is for You

Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) is an introduced insect originally from Asia, which is spreading throughout eastern North America and killing hemlock trees.  In an attempt to protect Maine’s forest resources, the State has introduced a quarantine on some hemlock forest products.  This includes a quarantine on nursery stock and seedlings administered by the Horticulture Program in the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, Animal and Plant Health Division and a quarantine on hemlock products and byproducts of harvests containing branch material administered by the Maine Forest Service Forest Health and Monitoring (MFS). The following summary pertains to the products regulated by the Maine Forest Service.

As of 2013, the quarantine area in Maine has been expanded to include the entire counties of: Lincoln, Sagadahoc and York and portions of Androscoggin (Auburn, Durham, Lewiston, Lisbon, Sabattus), Cumberland (Brunswick, Cape Elizabeth, Chebeague Island, Cumberland, Falmouth, Freeport, Frye Island, Gray, Gorham, Harpswell, Long Island, New Gloucester, North Yarmouth, Portland, Pownal, Raymond, Scarborough, South Portland, Standish, Westbrook, Windham, and Yarmouth) and Kennebec (Litchfield and Pittston) Counties. In addition, areas outside of Maine with established HWA are under quarantine.

The quarantine affects hemlock products with needles and branches in the following ways:

  • Hemlock products with needles and branches may be moved freely within the quarantine zone (barring other pertinent quarantines).
  • Loads of hemlock products with needles and branches from within the quarantine zone should be secured such that regulated material does not leave the vehicle when it is transiting areas outside of the quarantine zone. Such material must be delivered to a facility with an agreement with the MFS to receive regulated material.
  • Hemlock roundwood without top material (needles and branches) is not regulated and can move freely from the quarantined area.

To obtain a copy of the quarantine rules for HWA, go to:
For a map and list of infested counties go to:
     Map:  http://na.fs.fed.us/fhp/hwa/maps/distribution.shtmExternal Link
     List:   http://na.fs.fed.us/fhp/hwa/infestations/infestations.shtmExternal Link
Or for hard copies of these documents, call the Maine Forest Service at (207) 287-2431. 

For further information, please contact:

Colleen Teerling
Maine Forest Service Insect and Disease Lab
168 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0168
phone: (207) 287-3096
fax: (207) 287-2432