For Libraries - Library Development Division
Maine State Library Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Maine State Library (MSL) recognizes that library services across the state must be equitable and inclusive. As such, MSL is making a commitment to examine all aspects of our operations and services in a deeper and deliberately thoughtful manner. This includes intentionally analyzing and re-imagining policies and practices to underscore the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in our work. Our leadership role and duty as the Maine State Library is to give meaning to this important effort, and it will be informed through our own organizational growth.
To begin this work, we have initiated a co-design process for MSL staff in the Continuing Education Division of the Library Development Department, which requires participating staff to examine the work they do with, and for, libraries through an equity lens. At the same time participating staff will consider their own role in supporting equity practices across the state of Maine. As this work is completed, the co-design process will lay a foundation for a set of principles to further the commitment of MSL to move this work forward internally, and to also include ways MSL can support Maine’s libraries in their own equity work.
As we embark on this work, we are consciously committed to an ongoing process that requires continual effort. Our commitment extends to building understanding and solutions through deliberate collaboration. Through this, we will stand truer to our mission than ever before: To Help People, Make Maine’s Libraries Stronger, and to Transfer Information into Knowledge. (See MSL commitment statement as a pdf)
Maine Programs for Libraries through Library Development
Coronavirus Information for Libraries - Guidance for Maine libraries
The Maine Regional Library System provides subject-specific consultant services and library liaisons in direct support of libraries. Interlibrary Loan services are provided through three Area Reference and Resource Centers (ARRCs). Along with these services Library Development provides continuing education, information resources, access to state and national initiatives with the goal of making Maine libraries stronger.
Maine InfoNet is an organization financiallly supported by the Maine State Library the University of Maine Fogler Library and participating libraries. Maine InfoNet provides leadership and support to Maine libraries by improving information and library service to all Mainers through online systems and technology. Maine InfoNet is responsible for the operation of the Minerva, URSUS, MaineCat and MILS integrated library systems, Digital Maine Library databases and the Maine Download Library. If you have questions or problems with any of these systems, please use Maine InfoNet's Ticket System
MSLN - The Maine School and Library Network provides internet access, email, web hosting, and other internet related services to almost 900 schools and libraries across the state of Maine. Contact the support desk with any questions about your internet connection or check out their Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
- Maine Telecommunications Education Access Fund (MTEAF) provides a portion of the funding to support MSLN. CLICK HERE for more information about the MTEAF funding for the Maine School and Library Network.
Grants, Projects and Partnerships - These programs are administered by the Maine State Library and funded either in part or fully by the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) through the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
Responsibilities within Library Development
- Administration of federal library-related programs
- State and federal data collection, compilation, and dissemination. Aggregating information from the public library annual reports is an important part of this function.
- Maine Library infrastructure support (ILL, Van delivery, support for Maine Infonet and the Digital Maine Library)
- Direct library support through Continuing Education and subject specific consulting services
Services and Resources for Libraries/Librarians
Use the Library Value Use Calculator on your website!
- Library technology / Libraries' State E-rate
- School library resources / Schools' State E-rate
- Statewide Monthly Zoom Recordings
- Grants and Funding: A listing of recommended funding sources for Maine Libraries. resources and tips to facilitate applying for grants
- Legislation: Contact information for legislators, links to legislative documents, laws relating to libraries
- Public Library Definition - Working definition of a public library crafted by the Maine Library Commission, February 2012.
- Important dates for public library directors [pdf, 81KB]
Some programs under Library Development are administered by the Maine State Library and funded by the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) through the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
Statewide Public Library Virtual Events - Public Library events to attend during COVID-19 pandemic.
Statewide Library CE Calendar - Regional, statewide and national continuing education events for Maine librarians
Information Guide for New Public Library Directors[Word, 27kb] - contains links to important information for new directors.
Libraries and Community Links to toolkits and other resources for starting community dialogs- from the Aspen Report to Libraries Transform and more.