Home → Services for the General Public
Services for the Public
The following services from the Maine State Library (MSL) are available wherever there is Internet access.
- MSL Patrons
- Statewide Patrons
- Outreach Services
- Books by Mail: a service for those without local libraries or those who are homebound
- Large Print Books: a service for those without local libraries or those who are homebound.
- Talking Books Plus Catalog of large print books, audio books and descriptive videos for the visually and physically impaired
- NLS BARD: a catalog of downloadable audio books for the visually and physically impaired [NLS=National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped]
- Your Outreach Services library record
Electronic Resources Provided for Maine State Library Card Holders
- RefUsa: a business database accessed with your library card barcode.
- Heritage Quest: a genealogy database accessed with your library card barcode.
- Civil War Research Database: a set of historical and genealogical databases. Contact the reference desk for access
- NextReads: Get great book suggestions by email
Electronic Resources for all Maine Residents
Electronic Resources Created by State Library Staff
- Maine Writers Database: brief biographies and selected bibliographies
- Find a Maine Library: directories of public, school and academic libraries in Maine
- Maine Notables: brief biographies of well known Mainers
- Genealogy Sources: tips for using the materials the State Library offer
- Special Collections in Maine Libraries
- Featured Titles: book reviews of selected titles from the Maine State Library
Suggested Internet Resources
- Books That Shaped America
- HelpMELaw: Maine legal help resource
- KeepMEWell: Maine health care resource
- Suggested web sites on a variety of topics
- Maine Government: most popular resources
- Read Maine poems, selected by Wesley McNair, Maine's Poet Laureate
Online Forms and Information Requests
- Request a library card
- Renew a book
- Request a title
- Request an obituary
- Register for a class
- Contact Us
- Ask a Librarian
- Hours and directions
- Apply for Talking Books Plus (must print, include original signature, and mail in)
Visit the Maine State Library to:
- View most Maine State Library Special Collections
- Check out and return books
- Access public computers and printers, an open Wi-Fi network, and wireless printing from your laptop or mobile device
- Use microfilm of Maine Newspapers, Sanborn Maps, Surname index etc.
- Consult Library Use Only materials
- Search Ancestry.com
- Scan photos and/or documents; ability to transfer materials from print to digital format!
- Use the vertical file of newspaper articles, pamphlets etc.
- Consult with librarians on in depth research needs
- Use Skype to video phone your family, friends and colleagues
- Attend classes
- Print from your laptop, smartphone or other mobile device