Obituary Search Within Maine Only
Please review before requesting an obituary.
- Available newspapers for searches: Portland, Lewiston, Augusta, Waterville and Bangor ONLY.
- Date of Death and Place of Last Residence are required for all searches.
- There is a fee of $5.00 per obituary (no charge if an obituary is not found).
- If only a notice is found, the fee remains the same.
- Limit of five (5) obituary searches per month.
- You must include YOUR name, address and telephone number.
- Searches may take 5-10 days to complete depending on the format of the request.
- Searching for obituaries prior to the early 1900's is usually not successful because obituaries at that time were rare. Please only request IF the person was prominent or the death unusual.
To verify date of death, use the the Social Security Death Index (SSDI)
Online Request Form for Obituary Search
Required * fields
You may also request an obituary search through the mail or by phone:
To Mail: Print the form above, complete all information and mail to:Maine State Library
64 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Requirements and fees for an obituary search are the same regardless of the method of request.
We cannot guarantee that we will find the requested obituary.