Updated 2020 Maine Reading Standards
The Reading strand provides learning targets in developmental progressions for each grade K-5. The standards then move to multi-grade spans in grades 6-8 and 9-12.
Supporting materials to better implement the reading standards.
- Text Complexity. From Appendix A of the Common Core State Standards, an explanation of the three components of text complexity.
- Reading Foundational Skills. From Appendix A of the Common Core State Standards, a description of the role of foundational skills and explanation of the components.
- Bibliography. From Appendix A of the Common Core State Standards, provides the research and reference foundation that informed the development of the reading standards.
- Appendix B of the Common Core State Standards. Text exemplars to demonstrate grade level complexity; sample performance tasks aligned to standards and grade level texts.
- Text Complexity Resources. Tools to support analyzing complexity. Resources to inform professional learning.
- Close Reading/Text-Dependent Questions. Close reading strategies help students develop deep understanding of a text.