Chafee Foster Care Independence Program
Eligible youth may negotiate a Voluntary Extended Support (V9) Agreement (Word) with the Department in order to receive extended placement and other supports until their 23rd birthday (effective 8/8/23) for any of the following reasons:
- Obtaining a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED),
- Going on to a post-secondary educational program or a specialized post-secondary education certification program.
- Participating in an employment skills support program.
- Has continued need behavioral health supports.
- Has medical and/or special health conditions or needs.
- Has specialized placement needs that cannot be met by an alternative plan.
Youth whose Youth Transition Agreement ended before the age of 23 or who declined the offer of a Voluntary Extended Care Agreement may contact their caseworker or “Duty Worker” to request a meeting to negotiate a new Voluntary Extended Care Agreement.
For more information contact:
Youth Transition Program Manager
Office of Child and Family Services
2 Anthony Avenue, SHS 11
Augusta, ME 04333
Cell: (207) 446-4227; Fax: (207) 624-7970; TTY users call Maine relay 711
To find resources in your area click on: AccessMaine.org and www.211Maine.org