Municipal Separate Stormwater Sewer Systems (MS4s)
The MS4 general permits describe permit coverage and limitations, definitions, authorization and notice requirements, stormwater program management plan requirements, and standard conditions for municipalities, transportation MS4s and state federally-owned MS4s.
- Rhonda Poirier, (207) 592-6233
- Waste discharge laws. 38 MRSA § § 413, et. seq. (off-site).
- Water classification laws. See the Classification page.
- General Permits for Certain Wastewater Discharges, Ch. 529, (off-site).
- See also the Waste Discharge Program Page.
- Note: links are to on-line rules maintained by Maine's Secretary of State's Office. Files are in msword and sometimes take a little while to load.
- Notice of Intent (NOI)
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination Manual -- A Handbook for Municipalities. January, 2003. New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission. (off-site)
The three MS4 general permits are effective July 1, 2013.
- Small Municipal. General Permit for the Discharge of Stormwater From Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems
- Transportation. General Permit for the Discharge of Stormwater From Maine Department of Transportation and Maine Turnpike Authority Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System Facilities
- State or federal. General Permit for the Discharge of Stormwater From State or Federally Owned Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System Facilities
To obtain hard copies of the materials listed above, call your nearest DEP regional office, or email.