Application of Herbicides, Piscicides
Through a collaborative effort among the Maine Departments of Environmental Protection (DEP), Inland Fisheries & Wildlife (DIFW), and Conservation (now Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry), Maine developed a Rapid Response Plan For Invasive Aquatic Plants, Fish, and Other Fauna.
Inherent in rapid response is the need to use physical techniques or chemical treatments that can knock out an invasive species before it has a chance to proliferate. Providing such techniques or treatments are practical and pose little risk to rare or endangered species or human health. These General Permits are a regulatory tool to address newly detected aquatic invasive plants to control invasive fishes in Maine’s freshwater environments.
- Gregg Wood (207) 287-7693.
Statute and rule
- For statutes and rules applicable to the Waste Discharge Program, please see the Waste Discharge Program page.
- Text of General Permit, Application of Herbicides for the Control of Invasive Aquatic Plants (pdf file) June 2019
- Text of General Permit, Application of Piscicides for the Control of Invasive Fishes (pdf file) August 2014
- Fact sheet (pdf file) May 2014