Non Hazardous Waste Transporter Program


Regulations were adopted in 1991 pertaining to the transportation of non-hazardous waste within the State of Maine. Unless exempt, all vehicles and/or containers transporting non-hazardous waste within the state must have a license. The transportation of certain wastes (categories A & C - see below) require manifesting. Copies of the manifests are submitted to the Department on a quarterly basis.

Contacts - To request a manifest form to be sent to you, please email or call Jane LaPierre at 207-441-8450.

Non Hazardous Waste Transporter Laws and Rules

Statute: Title 38 MRSA Section 1304(1-A)

Department Rule Chapter 411 -- Non-Hazardous Waste Transporter Licenses

Additional Information

Biennial fees shall be based upon the following:

  • First and second conveyance $100.00 each
  • Third through tenth conveyance $70.00 each
  • Eleventh conveyance and more $50.00 each

The maximum biennial fee for any applicant shall be $2000.00.


What is non-hazardous waste?

Non-hazardous waste is any solid waste, special waste, or septage that is not otherwise classified as a hazardous waste, biomedical waste, or low level radioactive waste.

Solid waste includes garbage, rubbish, refuse, construction and demolition debris, special waste, and tires. Municipal solid waste means solid waste generated from domestic and normal commercial sources. By way of example, municipal solid waste includes household and office trash, garbage, rubbish, and refuse.

Special waste means in general terms solid waste generated from industrial sources which has been identified by the legislature and the Board of Environmental Protection in statute and regulation and requires special handling, transportation, and disposal procedures. By example, special wastes may include boiler and incinerator ash, paper mill sludge, medical waste, petroleum contaminated soils, and sandblast grit.

Septage includes waste, refuse, effluent, sludge, and any other materials from septic tanks, cesspools, or other similar facilities.

What is a non-hazardous waste transporter?

Anyone transporting construction and demolition debris, used tires, septage, and special waste is a non-hazardous waste transporter. In addition, anyone transporting municipal solid waste from six or more households or four or more trips per week from a commercial establishment is also a non hazardous waste transporter.

When is a license required?

The regulations separate non-hazardous waste into three categories.

Category "A" includes special waste, construction and demolition debris (c/d), and tires.

Category "B" includes all municipal solid waste which are not Category "A" waste. This typically is garbage, rubbish, and refuse from domestic and commercial sources.

Category "C" is septage which includes waste, refuse, effluent, sludge and any other materials from septic tanks, cesspools or any other similar facilities including non-industrial holding tank waste.

Chapter 411 of Maine's Solid Waste Management Regulations (06-096 CMR 411) defines the transport vehicle (also known as the conveyance) as the power unit, trailer, semi-trailer, or the container being transported. A license is required for any conveyance to haul category "B" waste where the vehicle has a gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more.

A license is required to haul construction and demolition debris for any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 pounds or more. Transporters are exempt from a license for hauling inert fill or land clearing debris or recycling material. There is no conveyance weight exemption for the transport of septage, tires, and special waste.

How do I obtain a license?

You need to file a complete application with the Department. Application packages are available from the Augusta office. A complete application must include:

  • the type of waste being transported;
  • a photocopy of the conveyance's registration, or serial number if it is a trailer;
  • a certificate of insurance with DEP as a certificate holder;
  • a disclosure statement of the applicant's history for the last five years relating to any environmental violations, final judgments, and/or administrative orders relating to the handling of waste; and
  • an application fee.
When must a licensed non-hazardous waste transporter "manifest" the waste hauled and what is a "manifest"?

Any licensed (categories A or C) non-hazardous waste transporter hauling tires, construction and demolition debris, special waste, or septage is required to manifest their waste. A manifest is a three page document which the transporter fills out and covers the transport of the waste between two locations. The manifest will describe the type and quantity of the waste, name and location of the generator, and the name & location of the receiving facility. Legible copies of all manifests are submitted to the Department on a quarterly basis by the transporter.

A licensed transporter can be exempt from filing manifests with the Department if the disposal facility accepting the waste is required by its license or regulation to maintain records and to report the quantity and source of the waste received to the Department.

Are there any additional requirements/conditions which I must follow as a licensed non-hazardous waste transporter?
  • a decal is issued for each vehicle licensed. It must be prominently attached to the driver's side window;
  • the license must be kept with the conveyance during all operations except for transport by rail;
  • all non-hazardous waste transported must be properly contained during transportation to prevent a discharge to the environment;
  • all non-hazardous waste transported within the State of Maine must be transported to solid waste facilities which are duly licensed or are exempt from licensing;
  • department staff or a public safety or law enforcement officer have the authority to inspect the conveyance including the non-hazardous waste transporter license and manifest;
  • all spills or discharges shall be properly cleaned up. If the non-hazardous waste spilled exceeds 0.5 cubic yards of solid or special waste or twenty gallons of septage, it must be reported to the Department. Within 5 working days of the date of the spill or discharge, the transporter shall notify the Department in writing. The letter of notification shall describe the spill or discharge, how it was cleaned up, and where it was ultimately disposed of;
  • the transportation of asbestos-containing waste materials or asbestos contaminated waste shall be containerized, stored, and transported in accordance with Department regulations. Asbestos is further described in statute and Department regulations as a special waste. Further information can be obtained from the Department's Asbestos Coordinator at (207) 287-7688 or by writing to: Asbestos Coordinator, DEP, State House Station 17, Augusta, Me 04333; and for questions on Non-Hazardous applications or manifests contact Lisa Moore at (207) 441-8450.

Application forms, Manifest forms, Lists


Application/License for Transportation of Non Hazardous Waste (pdf format)

Biennial Fee Schedule (pdf format)

Fleet Application Form (pdf format)

Manifests Order Form (MS Word) (pdf format)

Non-Haz Category A Quarterly Report (MS Word) (pdf format)

Non-Haz Category C Quarterly Report (MS Word) (pdf format)

Manifest forms

In order to request a manifest form you need to contact Jane LaPierre at 207-441-8450.

Category A - Short Instructions (pdf format) Short Form (pdf format)

Category C - Short Instructions (pdf format) Short Form (pdf format)

Category C- Long Instructions (pdf format) Long Form (pdf format)


List of Active Transporters of Non Hazardous Waste (pdf format)