GIS Maps and Other Data Files
Download Key: Google Earth: ArcGIS Online Web Map or App: Text File: Shapefile or Layer Package: PDF File: Web Page:
GIS Open Data: Shapefile and KML downloads (includes rest service access): Related GIS Table download:
DEP Interactive Maps and Data
- Technical Services Spill Projects (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Hazardous Oil Spill System (HOSS) Sites (Data Refreshed Daily) DISCLAIMER: The HOSS sites dataset does not contain the locations of all spills recorded by the Maine DEP.
- Oil Spill Geographic Response Strategies - Marine (11/17/2020)
- Registered Petroleum Tanks Database (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Remediation Sites (Institutional Controls) Database (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Solid Waste - Closed Municipal Landfills (10/14/2020)
- Solid Waste Recycling Locations (Data Refreshed Quarterly)
- To download a spreadsheet of recycling locations in Maine, click here: Recycling Locations.
- 1982 Maine River Study
- Aquatic Invasive Plant Locations (Updated Annually)
- Aquifer Quantitative Use Assessment (AQUA) Index (11/17/2009)
- Bacteria Monitoring Survey (Including Stream TMDL, Volunteer River Monitoring and links to the Maine Healthy Beaches data)(Under Construction-Back Soon!)
- Biomonitoring Stream and Wetland Sampling Data (4/29/2022)
- CMP NECEC Project Layers (Updated:January 6th, 2021 - These datasets might take several minutes to initially download due to their large size.)
- Eelgrass & Seagrass (Polygons Only)
- Head of Tide Locations (7/16/2019)
- Integrated Report Segments - 2018/2020/2022 (Under Development)
- Low Tide Orthoimagery
- Maine Dams, Levees, Impoundments & Barriers
- Maine Healthy Beaches Program - Beach Status
- Maine Bald Eagle Retrospective
- Maine Lake Information (Updating-Returning Soon)
- Maine Boat Pumpout Stations and No Discharge Areas (8/30/2021)
- Medomak River Water Quality Survey
- Mining Sites (Data Refreshed Quarterly)
- Municipal Separate Stormwater Sewer Systems Regulated Areas (5/27/2014)
- Non Point Source - Historical and Current Projects
- NRPA Habitat Data (NRPA datasets are produced and maintained by Maine IF&W)
- To view NRPA datasets, use the Beginning with Habitat Map Viewers Beginning with Habitat Maps To learn more about the beginning with habitat program, please follow this link: It all Begins with Habitat.
- Overboard Discharges (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Permit By Rule Locations (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Site Location of Development and Stormwater Law Permits: 2006 to present (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Stormwater Discharges from Regulated Industrial Activities
- Urban Impaired Streams Watersheds (5/31/2018)
- Wastewater Licensed Dischargers and Critical Salmon Habitat (12/9/2011)
- Wastewater Facilities, Outfalls, and CSO's (MEPDES) (7/28/2022)
Note: Maine DEP plans to update this data twice per year. Updates should occur during January and July. Please refer to this page for the exact date.
- Waterbody Statutory Classification (This dataset might take a minute or more to initially draw due to its large size.)
- Waterbody Statutory Classification History 1965 - 2019 (Map Only):
- Waterbody Classification History Case Studies Story Map:
Bureau of Land Resources program contacts: Contacts.
Bureau of Water Quality program contacts: Contacts.
The master list containing all spills recorded by the state (including all unlocated spills) can be found here.
Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management program contacts: Contacts.
- Air Monitoring Stations (Under Development)
- Air Quality Data and Site Map - current conditions reported from Maine's air quality monitoring sites.(Updated Hourly)
Bureau of Air Quality program contacts: Contacts.
- Environmental and Geographic Analysis Database (EGAD)
- Site Types (Threats to Groundwater and Environmental Monitoring) (Data Refreshed Daily)
- Sampling Data (Data Refreshed Daily)
- To request data, please fill out our Request EGAD Data Form.
- Maine Public Water Resource Information System
Downloading Data: When downloadable data is available for GIS Users there are three options:
Option 1: Use the raw data file alternate links above to download a shapefile or text file.
Option 2: Click on the project or layer links in the Google Earth table of contents (Places window). In the balloon, there will be a link to a text file with attribute data and spatial coordinates that can be imported into most GIS systems.
Option 3: Use the GIS download link to take you the ArcGIS Hub or Maine GeoLibrary open data site(s) and look for the download option to the right of the title.
Feedback: If you would like to comment on the use of Google Earth, ArcGIS Online, provide suggestions for improving the functionality, or report problems please go to our Feedback Form.
- The Maine DEP is only providing the data to be used in the Google Earth application on the user's computer. We are not responsible for installing or maintaining this software product.
- The Google Earth imagery dates provided do not necessarily represent the date the image was captured but show the date the imagery was processed and deployed.
- ArcGIS Online Web maps open within a separate tab on your web browser. Maine DEP GIS Unit recommends using the Chrome Web browser to view ArcGIS Online Web Maps.
- For questions regarding data content or data accuracy please contact the staff in the responsible programs using the contact links in each bureau section above.
- This data is for visual representation only and may not contain all data that is available by contacting the DEP directly.
- The individual DEP Google Earth Map projects and ArcGIS Online Web Maps contain a number of statewide data layers. These layers can be obtained from the Maine GeoLibrary Data Catalog.
- If you need to make detailed decisions using geospatial data please obtain original copies of the data.
- Maine Department of Conservation Boat Launches
- Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands Conservation Lands
- Maine Department of Marine Resources Bacteria Closure Areas
- Maine Department of Transportation Urban Compact Zones
- Maine Geolibrary Orthoimagery Discovery and Download Tool
- Maine Tax Parcels
- USGS Topographic Maps
- UTM Coordinate Conversion Tool
- Wetlands (from USFWS)
(The following links are supplied here for your convenience. Please contact the listed agency directly with questions.)
MEDEP staff generate and utilize a large amount of GIS data. Non-MEDEP GIS data are typically distributed by the Maine Office of GIS.
The MEDEP GIS Unit coordinates the collection and submittal of GIS data from MEDEP program staff and environmental consultants. This data supports the geographic evaluation of sites and study areas in conjunction with environmental sampling data. A set of Spatial Data Collection Guidelines is now available to assist with submittal of data to the MEDEP Spatial Database.