Greenhouse Gas (GHG)
The State is currently meeting the GHG goals established by Maine law.
38 MRSA §576 (2003) set goals to reduce GHG emissions statewide:
- To 1990 levels by January 1, 2010;
- To 10% below 1990 levels by January 1, 2020; and
- In the long term, reduction sufficient to eliminate any dangerous threat to the climate. To accomplish this goal, reduction to 75% to 80% below 2003 levels may be required.
38 MRSA §576-A (2019) expanded these GHG reduction goals:
- To 45% below 1990 levels by January 1, 2030; and
- To 80% below 1990 levels by January 1, 2050.
- The Department provides biennial reports to the Legislature, evaluating the State's progress toward meeting our reduction goals.
- The Department's latest Biennial Report shows that Maine exceeded the first goal and is on track to meet the next goal by 2020 (see graph below).
- Ninth Biennial Report on Progress Toward Greenhouse Gas Reduction Goals, July 2022 (pdf)
Contact: Stacy Knapp 207-287-2235