When scheduling conferences and meetings, agencies should include Maine State Armories when considering possible event locations if an Armory is located within 10 miles from where the majority of meeting participants will be traveling to. When assessing the feasibility of an Armory as a venue, you should consider the total meeting cost, such as catering, lighting, audio/visual, and other necessary services. This consideration is required by Executive Order 15 FY 11/12, An Order Directing State Agencies to Give Priority to Maine State Armories when Renting Meeting Space, but the Executive Order does not cover meetings where State or Federal law require other locations. Executive Order: An Order Directing State Agencies to Give Priority to Maine State Armories when Renting Meeting Space
The purpose of the program is to provide rental space at designated Maine State Armories. Revenue generated will help offset operating costs of these state-owned facilities. Maine Armories are strategically located through the State, including locations in: Augusta, Belfast, Brewer, Calais, Caribou, Houlton, Lewiston, Norway, Sanford, Skowhegan, Waterville and Westbrook. Dan Nadeau is your contact at the Maine Armory Rental Program and can be reached at email@example.com.
Selecting a Facility
If the event requires a facility/room rental and a Maine State Armory is within 10 miles from where the majority of meeting participants will be traving to:
- E-mail Mr. Nadeau requesting a written quote from the Maine Armory Rental Program.
- If necessary to hire vendors for food or other services request a list of approved vendors for the facility and include those costs in the total quote.
- Obtain at least two (2) additional quotes from facilities in the area, including all meeting costs in calculating the quote.
- If the Armory is not the lowest total cost option, is unable to cover your requirements or is unavailable, obtain a third quote and use the lowest total cost quoted facility.
- If the Armory is the lowest total cost option but use of such Armory would be unsuitable for the needs of the agency, submit a written request for a waiver from Armory use to the Division of Procurement Services at DAFS.PURCHASES@maine.gov explaining in detail why a waiver should be granted to allow the use of non-Armory facilities.
- If the waiver is granted obtain a third quote form an area facility.
If the event requires a facility/room rental and a Maine State Armory is not within 10 miles from where the majority of meeting participants will be traveling to:
- Please see the page for Pre-Qualified Meeting and Conference Centers.
Maine Armory Rental Program: http://www.me.ngb.army.mil/rentals/
An Order Directing State Agencies to Give Priority to Maine State Armories when Renting Meeting Space: http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/index.php?topic=Gov_Executive_Orders&id=227692&v=article2011