Claims Reporting or 207-287-3354

The Risk Management Division serves as the State's own insurance company insuring state vehicles for liability and state property for most unforeseen losses as well as most State agencies for general liability and employment practices. The majority of lawsuits covered under the Risk Management Programs are defended by the Attorney General's Office. However, in certain circumstances, outside counsel is hired to represent the interest of the State.

Automobile / Vehicular Liability Claims

The Risk Management Division provides liability coverage to agencies that participate in the program for accidents involving state/agency owned vehicles & in limited instances, for personal vehicles being used in the performance of official duties.

Risk Management can not do its job unless accidents are reported in a timely manner. So here are the recommended reporting procedures for auto accidents:

  • The driver or operator of any vehicle involved in any accident must call Risk Management & his or her Supervisor immediately if there is any injury or significant property damage.
  • Please do not discuss the accident with anyone or sign any papers for anyone unless they are your Supervisor, a Police Officer, or a properly identified Risk Management Division investigator.
  • Complete the ACCIDENT/INCIDENT form located in your vehicle's glove box and send to Risk Management Division within 24 hours of the accident. All vehicle incidents must be reported including minor property damage.

Risk Management Division does not compensate for any damage that results from driving on wet paint. For information regarding paint removal, click here.

General Liability Claims

Liability insurance is available to participating agencies and their employees for claims arising out of performance of that agency's function and claims are handled pursuant to the Maine Tort Claims Act, Title 14, Chapter 741. Any allegation of any kind of property damage or any kind of personal or bodily injury made against any State employee or State agency should immediately be reported to Risk Management. The only notable exception would be for employees of the Dept. of Transportation who should report to their Legal Services division.

Reporting Procedure: Any incident which could lead to the filing of a lawsuit against a State employee or Agency should be reported. Early settlement of a potential lawsuit could save the State significant expense as well as contain potential associated claims. If you are served with a lawsuit or a notice of claim, you should IMMEDIATELY notify the Attorney Generals office, the Risk Management Division & your direct supervisor. Do not admit liability or give statements to anyone other than the State’s claim investigators or our attorneys.

Property Claims

The Risk Management Division is responsible for insuring first party losses to state owned property such as buildings and contents, as well as any other property in which the state has an insurable interest.

Reporting Procedure: Property losses should be reported by telephone or in writing immediately upon discovery. When initially reporting the claim, please include the name and address of the building or property, the date of loss, the cause of loss and the estimated extent of the damage. In the event of an emergency, you need to make the necessary repairs to protect your property from further damage. Do not dispose of damaged equipment before speaking with your Adjuster or an employee of the Risk Management Division.

Payment of your claim:
Upon confirmation of coverage our office will be in touch with the named contact person to gather supporting documentation. The Risk Management Division does not pay vendors or providers directly but, rather will reimburse the agency for the associated covered expenses. Please provide our office with copies of bills & proof of payment if required. Upon receipt of that information and designation of the appropriate account for reimbursement, the Risk Management Division will journal the money, minus any applicable deductibles, to the appropriate account and send notification to the appropriate person. 

If you cannot find what you are looking for above you may contact us.