Ancestry Library Edition Resources
How to Get Started
Watch 3 quick narrated tutorial videos. Print out the slides and notes to use to follow along .
The PDF files below require the free Adobe Reader.
- Introduction to Ancestry.com;
Printed slides and notes-Intro, [PDF, 414 KB]
- Ancestry.com Documents;
Printed slides and notes-Docs [PDF, 317 KB]
- Searching Ancestry.com;
Printed slides and notes-Searching [PDF, 588 KB]
More Detailed Tutorials from Ancestry.com
- Videos from the Ancestry Learning Center on how use records, help with harder research.
- Free Webinars: Online Seminars by Ancestry Staff, going into more detailed researching. Many archived to watch or register for a future one.
Get Help from MSL Reference Staff
- Don't forget to email or call the Maine State Library reference staff to help your patrons
- Visit State Library's genealogy web page for genealogy related resources
Free Research Tools from Ancestry.com
See under Charts and Forms in the Library Ancestry Edition...in Ancestry.com's own words what each tool is used for.
- Ancestral Chart: An ancestor chart records the ancestors from whom you directly descend - those for whom you intend to compile a complete and correct family unit..
- Research Calendar: The research calendar gives an account of every record source you have searched and serves as a reminder of what you have already done and where you have found pertinent information.
- Research Extract: Summarizes information which may be time-consuming or difficult to reread quickly.
- Correspondence Record: Helps you keep track of those with whom you have corresponded.
- Family Group Sheet: Enables you to compile complete, correct and connect families.
- Source Summary: Provides quick reference to information and sources you have found for a particular family.
- US Census Forms: Allows you to read column headings and record information from the US Census.
Posters from Maine State Library
The files below require the free Adobe Reader.
Standard posters that cannot be changed because of licensing. Photos have necessary permissions to use. Mulitple versions of some posters. Directions for the fillable PDF poster.[PDF, 40 KB]; [Word 2007, 14 KB]
Post your customized poster all over town! Use the generic posters in your own library!
- Ancestry1a-fillable: Fillable version - Add your library contact information. [PDF, 365 KB]
- Ancestry1b: Generic message, no customizing [PDF, 412 KB]
- Ancestry1c: Write in your library information in available blank space. [PDF, 350 KB]
- Ancestry2a-fillable: Fillable version - Add library contact information.[PDF, 784 KB]
- Ancestry2b- Ready to use: Generic message, no customizing [PDF, 766 KB]
- Ancestry2c: Write in your library information in available blank space.[PDF, 763 KB]
- Ancestry3 - Generic message, no customizing [PDF, 2.29 MB] - Large file because the whole poster is a photo!