July 9, 2015
IFW To Host Five Public Hearings Concerning Fishing Regulation Changes
AUGUSTA, ME -- The Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is hosting five public meetings concerning proposed fishing regulation changes for the 2016 open water and ice fishing seasons.
Each year, IFW updates the fishing law book. Regulation changes are needed in order to enhance fishing opportunities throughout the state, as well as to protect fish from overfishing. This year, there are over 150 proposed regulation changes for Maine’s 6,000 lakes and ponds and 30,000 miles of rivers and streams.
You can find a list of the proposed regulation changes at www.mefishwildlife.com. The dates, times and locations for the upcoming public hearings are as follows:
• July 14, 2015 @ 6:30 p.m. – Northeastland Hotel, Red Room 436 Main Street, Presque Isle
• July 15, 2015 @ 6:30 pm – Stearns High School, Library 199 State Street, Millinocket
• July 16, 2015 @ 6:30 pm – Ramada, Breakfast Room 215 High Street, Rt. 1 & 3, Ellsworth
• July 21, 2015 @ 6:30pm – University of Maine Farmington, Olson Student Center N. Dining Hall B, 111 South Street, Farmington
• July 23, 2015 @ 6:30pm – Brunswick High School, Multi-Purpose Room 116 Maquoit Road, Brunswick
Any proposed regulation can be discussed at any of the public hearing locations. If you cannot attend any of these public hearings but still wish to provide input, there is a public comment period that runs from now until August 3rd. You can provide written comment by emailing email@example.com or mailing Becky Orff at Inland Fisheries and Wildlife, 284 State Street, #41 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333.