Sustainable Water Use Program (SWUP)
The DEP establishes minimum river and stream flows and lake and pond water levels to protect natural aquatic life and other designated uses in surface waters threatened by significant water withdrawals pursuant to Chapter 587, In-stream Flows and Lake and Pond Water Levels. The rule applies to direct or indirect withdrawal, removal, diversion or other activity or use that alters the natural flow or water levels of a non-tidal fresh surface water of the State. These waters include rivers, streams, brooks, lakes and ponds that are classified state waters.
The SWUP program also provides for the filing of reports by larger water users.
- Rob Mohlar, 207-592-1439
- Request for Alternative Flow or Water Level Determination (pdf file; msword file)
- Notice of Intent to be Covered by Exemption Form (pdf file; msword file)
- Water Withdrawal Reporting Form (pdf file; msword file)
- Reporting Questions and Answers
- Chapter 587, In-stream Flows and Lake and Pond Water Levels (rule)
- Chapter 587 Questions and Answers