Hazardous Waste Transporter Program

Introduction - Hazardous Waste Transportation

A transporter that engages in transportation of hazardous waste must apply for a transporter license to cover all locations of the business, all conveyances owned, leased or otherwise controlled by the business and used for transportation of hazardous waste which are located or used in Maine and all operators of such conveyances employed by the business which operates in Maine. Any person who transports hazardous waste in the State of Maine in any quantity is considered a transporter. The term includes, without limitation, individuals who own, lease or otherwise control conveyances, and businesses regardless of the size and form of business organization, which engage in transportation of hazardous waste.


Questions on Maine's Licensed Hazardous Waste Transporter Program contact the Hazardous Waste Licensing Unit at 207-287-7688 or Dan Wehr.

Hazardous Waste Transporter Laws and Rules

Hazardous wastes are subject to regulation according to the provisions of 38 M.R.S., Chapter 13, Maine Hazardous Waste, Septage and Solid Waste Management Act and Department Rule, Chapter 853, Licensing of Transporters of Hazardous Waste. The rule requires transporters of hazardous waste be licensed and to comply with standards intended to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public and the environment.

Chapter 857, Hazardous Waste Manifest Requirements




Hazardous Waste Transporter Conveyance Information Form (pdf format)

Hazardous Waste Transporter Driver Information Form (pdf format)

Universal Bill of Lading Request Form

Hazardous Waste Additonal Information

Hazardous Waste Information (What is a Hazardous Waste Transporter?, What is Hazardous Waste Manifest? When is a Licensed Required?, How to obtain a license?, Licensing of Transporters of Hazardous Waste etc.)

The supplemental hazardous waste transporter forms (drivers and conveyances) are for use by licensed transporters to add drivers and conveyances to existing licenses. There is a fee of fifty ($50.00) dollars per additional conveyance or driver added to a license. In order to obtain a complete application for a new or renewal license please call the Hazardous Waste Licensing Unit (207) 287-7688.

Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest


Active Transporters of Hazardous Waste (pdf format)