Recycling Establishment Report
Recycling establishments in Maine are required to report annually to the Department on their activities marketing, brokering, or purchasing reportable recyclable materials (38 M.R.S. § 2145 and 38 M.R.S. §§ 2101-A). The next annual recycling establishment report is due March 1, 2023 and will include calendar year 2022 recycling data.
Download the 2022 Recycling Establishment Report form (Excel)
Some common question that residents have asked about this law are answered below:
- Question: Who must complete the recycling establishment report?
- Answer: For the purpose of this reporting requirement, a “recycling establishment” is any establishment located in Maine that is engaged in marketing, brokering, or purchasing recyclable materials generated in Maine and that directs recyclable material out of state. To avoid receipt of duplicate data, certain recycling establishments are not required to submit this report. These include the following:
- Facilities that meet the statutory definition of a recycling establishment but submit the required recycling information to the Department annually through a Solid Waste Processing Facility or Beneficial Use of Solid Waste report.
- Any recycling establishment that directs all of its reportable recyclable materials to another recycling establishment located within Maine.
- Question: What are reportable recyclable materials?
- Answer: "Reportable recyclable materials" include any of the following categories of recyclable materials that are separated from household, commercial or institutional waste: glass; cardboard, paper and paper products; plastic and plastic products; cartons, laminated materials and other packaging; nonferrous and ferrous metals, including white goods; textiles; and mixed streams of recyclable materials that include any of the above.
- Question: What information needs to be included in the report?
- Answer: The report must include all of the following information:
- Business or organization name, mailing address, physical address, e-mail address, contact person and telephone number
- Total tons of reportable recyclable materials, by generator, received by the recycling establishment during the year
- Total tons of reportable recyclable materials, by destination, shipped by the recycling establishment during the year
The report may provide an aggregate quantity for multiple locations operated by a recycling establishment as long as the report specifically identifies each location used in determining the aggregate quantity.
- Question: Is the data in the recycling establishment report confidential?
- Answer: Information submitted to the department in the recycling report may be designated as confidential in accordance with the provisions of section 1310-B. When submitting the recycling report, the submittor should specify that the report contents are confidential in order for the provisions of 1310-B to apply.
- Question: What is the recycling data used for?
- Answer: The Department aggregates data from recycling establishment reports as well as reports from other facilities including landfills, processing facilities, and waste incinerators to calculate an overall statewide recycling rate. This allows the Department to assess progress toward achieving a statewide recycling rate of 50%.
Please contact Brian Beneski (207) 287-4858 for assistance with recycling establishment reports.