If I have a Natural Resources Protection Act (NRPA) permit, do I still have to get a shoreland zoning permit from my municipality?

Yes. In Maine, activities within the shoreland zone are permitted by municipalities. While the Maine Department of Environmental Protection creates the minimum standards for activities within the shoreland zone, the municipality is charged with administering and enforcing the standards they've adopted in local ordinances. A permit under the Natural Resources Protection Act (NRPA) does not guarantee that the project will be approved at the municipal level. Before beginning any projects, you should contact your local Code Enforcement Officer or Planning Staff to see what permits may be needed at the local level. The DEP is here to answer your questions regarding state or municipal jurisdictional authority under the shoreland zoning law. Should you have any questions or require further assistance, call Colin Clark, DEP's Shoreland Zoning Coordinator, at (207) 441-7419 or e-mail him at Colin.A.Clark@maine.gov