Home → Air Quality → Wood Heaters
Residential Wood Heaters
Compliance Fact Sheets
Residential wood and pellet stoves
Hydronic heaters and forced-air furnaces
EPA Final Rule
On February 3, 2015, the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued final New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) for Residential Wood Heaters. The standards govern the manufacture, sale, and operation of new residential wood heating devices including single burn-rate and adjustable burn-rate wood stoves, pellet stoves and furnaces, outdoor and indoor wood boilers, and indoor wood-burning forced air furnaces.
- EPA website on controlling air pollution from residential wood heaters
DEP Commissioner, Patricia Aho testified at EPA's public hearing in Boston on the draft rule. For more information, please see:
- DEP media release including Commissioner Aho's testimony February 2014
- DEP Issue Profile on impacts in Maine of EPA's draft rule February 2014
- Maine DEP comments submitted to EPA May 2014
EPA Revision to 2015 Residential Wood Heater NSPS
- September 7, 2018 - Maine DEP comments to EPA
DEP contacts: Stacy Knapp 287-2235 or Maine DEP’s Small Business Ombudsman Julie Churchill 800-789-9802.