Explore with us!
Swan Island, at the head of Merrymeeting Bay, welcomes hikers, campers, birders, wildlife watchers, and explorers to its shores for an unforgettable Maine experience.
Access by canoe or our passenger ferry across the Kennebec River to your remote getaway... close to home. Once on the Island you can begin your exploration or travel in our tour truck to the campground. From there, explore the campground area, historic homes, rent a kayak to explore the islands, walk the scenic gravel road to Theobald Point, or begin exploring 7-miles of hiking trails.
Activities, Amenities & Facilities
- 10 Adirondack shelters in a grassy field overlooking Little Swan Island and Kennebec River
- Fire pit and picnic table at each site
- One group tent site
- Drinking water
- Clean, modern restrooms
- Utility/dish room
- Firewood available at $4/bundle
- Picnic shelter can be rented for events
- Canoe & kayak rentals
- 7 miles of easy to moderate hiking
- 4.5-mile dirt road for hiking/biking
- Fishing pond for kids 15 and under
- Wildlife viewing tower
- 5 Historic homes visible from the gravel road
- Interpretive displays
- Bird watching
- Wildlife viewing
- Swimming at your own risk