Explore with us!
Swan Island is open to camping and day use from May 1-October 30! Camping is first-come, first served and we do not accept reservations. Visitors are responsible for accessing the island on their own by canoe, kayak, or boat and must carry out all trash.
Swan Island, at the head of Merrymeeting Bay, welcomes hikers, campers, birders, wildlife watchers, and explorers to its shores for an unforgettable Maine experience close to home!
Visitors can paddle to the island across the Kennebec River for a day or exploration or overnight stay in our first-come, first-served campground.
Activities, Amenities & Facilities
- 10 Adirondack shelters in a grassy field overlooking Little Swan Island and Kennebec River
- Fire pit and picnic table at each site
- One group tent site
- Drinking water
- Clean, modern restrooms
- Utility/dish room
- 7 miles of easy to moderate hiking
- 4.5-mile dirt road for hiking/biking
- Fishing pond for kids 15 and under
- Wildlife viewing tower
- 5 Historic homes visible from the gravel road
- Interpretive displays
- Bird watching
- Wildlife viewing
- Swimming at your own risk